CPE PART 1 QUESTION - ESSAY ABOUT INDIVIDUALITY VERSUS MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING

khoadowrite 1 / 2  

summarising and evaluating the key points from text provided

Please find attached the photo for the Task Question.

Opinions greatly differ as to whether people should conform to or ignore socially accepted codes of etiquette. From a relatively collectivistic perspective, a societal edifice is comprised of individual bricks inexorably bound up to one another, and mutual understanding, especially among generations, is what cements the structure. Taking from a more polarized individualistic stance, however, some others are opposed to this idea, claiming that individuality is what a decent society should respect.

Advocates of a highly independent, deliberately-ignorant-of-others way of life believe that caring too much about others' points of view is a potential hindrance to one person's zeal and creativity. An individual is mentally healthier, or so they thought, if they are able to resist social norms. However, this idea is flawed as it fails to take into account the very fact that we are not living separately in detached areas; together we build up a society in which every single act of ours has a casual link to one another. A selfish act of violating social distancing laws by strolling around in public places when the COVID-19 pandemic is still terrorizing every single entity on Earth is never a sign of positive individuality; it is a selfish, diabolical act that causes great sufferings to others.

Instead, mutual understanding is what it takes for individuals to develop as a whole. Generational gap has been cited as one of the most significant concerns. Older people complain about young people paying too much attention to electronic devices, whereas we can also hear the young decrying their parents and grandparents for not spending enough time learning how to use those gadgets. Such trivial conflicts would be resolved if the older people put their prejudices aside to get to know the significance and the convenience of the devices, and vice versa, young people were able to know that their parents and grandparents were technological immigrants, and it takes time for them to get the hang of the basic functions of smartphones.

In conclusion, a desirable society is one in which mutual understanding is cherished and individuality has yet to become selfishness.

• Task question
You are too focused on showcasing the complex English words that you know. While that is something that is good for the presentation, it is also a drawback because it removes the common sense discussion that helps the layman understand what you are saying. When you write these essays, always consider the audience that you are writing for. In this case, you are not writing for a specific set of professionals. You are writing for the everyday person, both young and old, who may not be highly familiar with the references you will be using. Common examples will be easily understandable to the reader as opposed to the highly technical and difficult to comprehend at first glance:

From a relatively collectivistic perspective, a societal edifice is comprised of individual bricks inexorably bound up to one another, and mutual understanding, especially among generations, is what cements the structure.

Being unnecessarily high brow in your writing will not help with the clarity of the understanding of your work. You are making the presentation unnecessarily complex. You are also targeting the wrong audience with your presentation.

Home / Writing Feedback / CPE PART 1 QUESTION - ESSAY ABOUT INDIVIDUALITY VERSUS MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING