Critique about the article "Land, Territory and Identity"

Mahaliyev 1 / -  
"Land Territory and Identity" by David Storey

INTRODUCTION
The article named "Land, Territory and Identity" is philosophical and geographical
researched piece of writing which is written in April, 2012 by David Storey who is professional
geographer, and works as a senior lecturer at Institute of Science and the Environment in
University of Worcester in United Kingdom. He basically researched on territory and identity,
sport and place, rural change and development. Mainly, this article is about relationship between
place and identity. Target audience is more general - mostly people who are interested in this
field, however this writing can be considered a basic, but detailed interpretation for who are not
so aware of this field. The main purpose is to contribute comprehensive explanation about these
3 notions and to demonstrate how these notions are interrelated. Whereas there are some points
which seems to be weak, or to lack support, on the whole, it is quite successful piece of writing which attempts to interpret some issues for modern world and civil societies in the article.

SUMMARY
Identity is a complex phenomenon which is about realization of notion of both self and
others. According to the article, "an individual may have a number of identity linked to gender,
ethnicity and so on...". Moreover, the article deals with the problems such as national identity,
political and economic fluctuations and its effects on people's personalities and social and rural
changes on the land. While living in a territory, people get some feelings which bonds them to
particular area. Sense of ownership, sense of belonging, sense of mutuality, sense of community,
sense of mutual support, and even nationalism can appear. These notions can be related to
political and economic conditions. Land, territory and identity is progressive and dynamic, so
that we can observe its continuation in contemporary world (The Balkans, Ireland so on).
EVALUATION
Even though most aspects of linkage between territory and identity was successfully
explained, analysis of rural approach seems to lack support. It is such a crucial point at relization
of bond between land and identity which demands to analyse the way they affect each other more
deeply. However, article demonstrates the bonds which links farmers and the land in a superficial
way. For instance, in spite of the fact that, the farmers who have strong bond with the land are
more likely to have some financial expectations as well, article describes as they do not. Additionally, it is stated that rural imagery is benefited repeatedly in order to promote a sense of

national identity by politicians. However, this argument has not been specified whether this
promotions aimed positive purposes or negative ones.
One of the most effective interpretations which the author make is about political conflicts
and territory. Desire to increase the well-being of the society and to have stronger economy
pushes the countries to make territorial claims. In this case, such asseverations might cause some
clashes.
Moreover, the next remarkable point which are likely to be noticed immediately is the
vocabulary which is crucial for target audience. The article is written such an appropriate
manner that almost everybody can figure out what is described in it. In addition, a number of
sources is used which makes the writing more liable. Also, most sources are written in recent
years which means the article is actual.
CONCLUSION
"Land, Territory and Identity" is a philosophical and geographical article which belongs to
David Storey. The main purpose of this writing is to explain what land, territory, and identity
mean and to validate how these notions are interrelated. Overall, the author succeeded to
contribute enough explanation. He should have added more supporting details where it seems
unsound allegations in order to clarify his position. All in all, he managed to write a great piece of writing.
Here is an idea for making the first sentence easier to read:
The article named "Land, Territory and Identity" is philosophical and geographical 2012 research article by David Storey, who is a professional geographer and senior lecturer at Institute of Science and the Environment in University of Worcester in United Kingdom.

I removed 'geographical and philosophical" because it's too much information to include in the sentence. The rest of the paragraph will explain what it is about.

Don't use the word 'basically'.. it can be deleted.

I like the way you ended your first paragraph! I'll suggest a small change:
... it is quite successful piece of writing which attempts to at interpreting some issues for the modern world and civil societies in the article .--- You should improve that sentence by naming the most important, specific issue it interprets.

: )

Home / Writing Feedback / Critique about the article "Land, Territory and Identity"