"The Crusifix of Pope John Paul the II" - Describe an insignificant object

rlatin2002 1 / -  
Hi I'm trying to do the following for an online course and teacher is limited in helping on the weekends what do you think?

Describe an insignificant Object: for example a banana, a ball cap, an eraser, an eraser , a bookmarker etc. I choose the crusifix that Pope John paul the II had in his had that is similar to the horse shoe guiding the sheep in when one may get lost.

Your audience, after readign your essay, should be able to not only visualize this object but understand your feeling for it.
Part of your purpose should be to show it seeminlying insignificant but its world power to see a cross.

I suppose to describe as many appropriate sensory details as possible. Not use abstractions , use concrete details
Do not use any second person pronoun .or values in the essay.

draft

This report will describe my experience in Rome as the Pope held The Crusifix staff in his hand over me and handed me an envelope with a smaller version of the cross in it.

The objective illustration if this crucifix is symbolic to the Catholic Faith. Pope Benedict XVI, as Bishop of Rome, carries a staff (also knows or called crosier at all liturgical and official catholic celebrations. Usually, A bishop crosier is , is a horse shoe shaped at the top , resembling staff of a Sheppard who, at times, must draw a lost or str4ay sheep back into the fold.

Our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI, Pope John Paul the II, choose instead to place a primitive- looking crucifix with an artistic looking crucifix at the top of his crosier. This cross authentically designed as two pieces of thick logs tied by dark brown rop, depicts Christ with both his knees bent outward, at the point of death, trying not to give up his life out of devoted love he had for the world sinful Humanity. This is the great gift of salvation. It is we that have been blessed and covered with the blood of Jesus Christ's who willingly sacrificed himself on the Calvary, so that all may impact amongst each other him in life abundantly forever.

It's smell is that of none, It's touch is of a dry smooth feel to the finger's the most important is the sighting of the crosiers crucifix being held or worn in significance of Christ dying for our sins, He is again Pope Benedict IXV.
This report will describe my experience in Rome as the Pope held The Crucifix staff in his hand over me and handed me an envelope with a smaller version of the cross in it.

... as Bishop of Rome, carries a staff (also known or called crosier at all liturgical and official catholic celebrations.

Usually, A bishop crosier is , is a horse shoe shaped at the top ,---Don't leave a space between the end of a word and the comma.

Our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI, Pope John Paul the II, chose instead to place a primitive...

This cross authentically designed as two pieces of thick logs tied by dark brown rope , depicts Christ with both his knees bent outward, at the point of death, trying not to give up his life out of devoted love he had for the world. sinful Humanity.

It is we that have been blessed and covered with the blood of Jesus Christ's , who willingly sacrificed himself on the Calvary, so that all may impact amongst each other him in life abundantly forever. ---This is very confusing! Please revise for clarity!

The prompt calls for you to describe an INSIGNIFICANT object, and what you chose to do your essay on is actually extremely significant for millions of people. Are you sure you should do this?

Good luck in school, and have fun!

:)
Hey, isn't this word spelled with a c?
Maybe that is UK English or something... but check on CRUCIFIX.

I choose the crusifix that Pope John paul the II had in his had that is similar to the horse shoe guiding the sheep in when one may get lost.

Wait a minute, how is that an insignificant object? A crucifix is significant because of what it represents... not like an eraser, ha ha.

I don't think faith should be capitalized. Common noun.

I see at the end that you did a tiny amount of description. But it is not enough. I suspect that the purpose of this assignment is to practice descriptive writing. You are supposed to use an insignificant object and look deeply at the "suchness" of the thing, the crystal clear detail and experience of it. There you are in what you see; this is a reflection of yourself, because the existence of the subject is contingent on the availability of an object.
Rajiv 55 / 400  
There you are in what you see; this is a reflection of yourself, because the existence of the subject is contingent on the availability of an object.

Wow !
And I always thought - I think therefore I am - was the common belief on consciousness of one's own existence.
I think therefore I am -

Nope, that is only Descartes' idea, ha ha.
Hey, I'll tell you a secret. Because of a strange browser glitch and sharing a computer for a minute, I was the one who wrote that, and it appeared as Susan's post. Weird!

Anyway, it's like that other common expression. "You are what you eat." Ha ha... I say, "You are what you see." Or... "You are what you think about."

Maybe that is what Descartes meant, :-) ...
Rajiv 55 / 400  

I think the implication here is, the sense of our own existence comes about only because we apprehend other objects .. and their existence. Of our own we have no sense at all, and cannot, without them. Our existence is always an inferred one.

This goes beyond what the other expressions mean ..
Rajiv 55 / 400  
Yet, there is also this ..

Truth I believe is actually new each moment --- such is its nature. So, in the changed culture from the times of just a few decades ago, we necessarily need to find it anew. Actually it always requires to be discovered. Therefore intellectually inclined persons are always living in the present.
the sense of our own existence comes about only because we apprehend other objects .. and their existence. Of our own we have no sense at all, and cannot, without them. Our existence is always an inferred one.

I like the way you worded this. And I used to think of it just as a concept _ The subject and object are ONE because of their dependence on one another. But it is not just a concept or a way of thinking about something.

Eckhart Tolle said, "The dreamer is not the person. The person is part of the dream."

:-)

Therefore intellectually inclined persons are always living in the present.

Yeah, that fresh present. Constant change helps. I am at a Mexican fast food place in Boston with my laptop, because I work at a different place every day. It helps me think!

Home / Writing Feedback / "The Crusifix of Pope John Paul the II" - Describe an insignificant object