A cultural experience that has given me the greatest satisfaction

Raghvi 1 / -  
In 2012, I took part in a cultural exchange program organized by my school with a French high school in ChambĂŠry, a small town located in the South-East of the country. I stayed at ChambĂŠry for about 10 days, after which a four day visit to Paris was organized. Before I left for France, I was told by all my seniors who had previously been a part of the French Exchange that this would be an experience of a lifetime and as the following two weeks unfolded, I realized that I couldn't have said it better.

My correspondent and I hit it off right from day one. After travelling for nearly 24 hours, as I disembarked from the last train, I could see an eager face that stood out from the crowd - looking around, holding up a placard with my name on it. I went up to her and introduced myself, and we took off to her house. As she showed me around, I could see several guitars lined up in her room. She decided to play me a song - and it turned out to be one by my favorite band. In that moment I knew we couldn't have been a better fit.

Her parents and brother couldn't have been more welcoming either. They opened up to me their hearts and their home, with its gardens, fruit laden trees, and pool. From the delicious dinners prepared by her mother, to the various outings planned by them to help me get true understanding of how the French live, there was always something new and enjoyable to do. Her friends at school and all the other correspondents were always happy to help as well, and we shared with each other music, pictures, stories, cultures.

During my stay at ChambĂŠry, I had several novel experiences, which I will probably never experience again. From the awkwardness in staying at the residence of someone you just met, to eating 'Cuisses de Grenouilles' and 'Escargots' (more commonly frog legs and snails), or from camping out in the French Alps and freezing at night, to learning how to steer a boat - these are just some of my everlasting memories from ChambĂŠry. The ten days flew by and my correspondent became more like my sister, staying awake till daybreak talking about everything under the sun, sharing clothes, doing each other's hair. Her family and I bid each other farewell with tears in our eyes. I left ChambĂŠry with a heavy heart, waiting eagerly for her to visit my city the following October.

The following days, spent in Paris too, few as they were, although did not do justice to the capital city of art, could not have been better. I got a chance to know all the other Indian correspondents really well. I didn't know eighteen of the nineteen other Indians before departing from India, but after our stay at Paris, I can count most of them as my closest friends. I visited Disneyland, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, and did pretty much all that was humanly possible in the tiny time span that had been allotted. About four months later, the French correspondents came to New Delhi. I continued with my correspondent our culturally enriching journey. I knew my life wouldn't ever be the same when the day came for them to depart, as we said goodbye, sobbing, for what we hoped would not be the last time. This truly was an experience of a lifetime.

Hello, please correct any grammatical mistakes and give some editing suggestions. Thank you so much in advance. :)

... sure we would :)

Well this is fine in terms of grammar and clarity. There's no doubt you are very good with your English writing skills. However, I feel you can present this with more creatively. Add some feelings and emotions to your writing. This is one of your greatest experiences. So give that sense from the very first opening sentence itself. The reader is more interested to know your story than the statistical information. For them, data sounds boring, but your experiences matter more and interesting.

If you read the following essay, you'd understand what I mean;
https://essayforum.com/undergraduate-essays-2/am-combat-enemy- stealthy-fast-skilled-college-app-49300/
May be this essay is written for a different purpose, but she has presented her case in a very interesting manner. So, begin your essay with more punch. I know you can do it easily! :)

Home / Writing Feedback / A cultural experience that has given me the greatest satisfaction