Should cyber bullying get more punishment?

iccalove 1 / -  

Cyber Bullying

In an era where internet and cell phones are being used to text someone rather than just going to someone's house has proven that we are in the digital age, we've got; Facebook, Twitter, Google, Myspace, Cell phones, and many more applications that keep us busy and inside more often. Sadly, because of this we have lost our social skills and rely on these everyday used items to talk. So instead of the old after school bullying, we now have cyber bullying. A way of hurting people that look or act different, on the internet. They use hurtful words; like ugly, cheap, and whore to make people feel insecure and just plain not good enough for the world. They also can use pictures or anything else that's easy to get to. Now because cyber bullying has a broader impact than traditional bullying, there should be more legal consequences for cyber bullying!

Cyber bullying is a serious widespread problem, online bullying can be more psychologically savage than schoolyard bullying. Cyber bullying is often legally defined as repeated harassment online; the concealment of the internet gives cover to not only the schoolyard bully's it but also to victims themselves, who feel they can retaliate without getting caught. The adolescents these days definitely do have a vicious and cavalier side; this is a dark side that is enabled and magnified by technology. "A picture posted by a thirteen-year old, another girl comment: "hideous" and "this pic makes me throw up a lil."' "It's not the swear words, they all swear. It's how they gang up on one individual at a time" (Inspector Brunault, 15).

What makes it worse is there are no signs of parents getting more familiar with technology. Parents need to put in time and effort to educate themselves; as a result they've made it another responsibility for their schools. The kids are just skating by with parents not even realizing their kids are being bullied constantly online or bullying some poor helpless kid on the internet. "While children may be nimble with technology, they lack the maturity to understand its consequences" (Dr. England, 16). If the children get caught in a crisis parents are told to take a screenshot of the offending material. Most parents don't know how or what a screenshot is, it basically just where you click two buttons and the phone takes a picture of the screen.

A lack of compassion has led to an epidemic of cyber bullying. Even compassionate children and teens may give into the power of group thinking, otherwise known as peer pressure. They participate in emotionally hurtful activities, particularly if they have experienced a significant change in their lives such as a divorce or a recent move. Sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace need honesty, but freedom of speech should also take into consideration that words can be powerful weapons and if not used thoughtfully can inflict deep and hurtful psychological wounds.

Its not done yet, but i need help finishing and i wanna no if this sounds good so far, any advice would be helpful
pirFena 2 / 1  
In an era where the internet and cell phones are being used...

...schoolyard bully's it but also to the victims themselves, who feel they can ...

What makes it worse is there are no signs of parents getting more familiar with the technology.

The kids just skate by with parents not even realizing their kids are being bullied constantly

-It's basically just where you click two buttons and the phone takes a picture of the screen.

I'm not a native speaker.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should cyber bullying get more punishment?