Dead Poets Society movie vs. my classroom

pcvrz34g 22 / 117  
Prompt: Dead Poets Society has many characters who each have very different personalities. After sitting through a year of Mr. Keating's classes, most of the characters grew in some way. Compare a character's development after taking Keating's class to your own development after weeks of (teacher)'s class.

Inspiration fuels the potential of others by inciting a change in attitude to enable self-reflection that, in turn, alters conflicts to opportunities for growth. English Prof. John Keating in Dead Poets Society directed by Peter Weir and AP English Literature and Composition Teacher (teacher) of XXXXXX High School both exemplify inspiration to students by motivating students to seek for knowledge through experience and self-discovery for a greater byproduct of development in maturity, knowledge, and self-appreciation.

The Dead Poets Society begins the movie with Todd Anderson, a new student to Welton Academy. Within ten minutes into the film, the audience soon realizes that Todd is not the main character but rather a foil character. Todd's qualities contrast to that of Neil's, the main character, and successfully highlights the various facets of Neil's personality. While Neil is outgoing and popular, Todd is introverted and timid. While Neil is interested in acting and fine arts, Todd's focus is to fulfill his parent's academic expectations. Todd's transformation throughout the movie is one of the prominences of the movie. Todd initially lacked the confidence to even casually recite a poem to his friends at Dead Poem Society meetings, yet Prof. Keating seems to have an astounding affect on Todd as he improvise a poem of a madman on the wall. On a greater picture, Prof. Keating had reached out to Todd and inspired him by boosting his confidence. In appreciation and respect, at the end of the film, Todd is not afraid to stand up to his belief in that Mr. Keating was an inspirational teacher and demonstrates this by standing on his desk, signifying that he will forever abide Mr. Keating's three principles: (1) to seize the day to make one's life extraordinary, (2) to approach all situations through analysis from different perspectives, and (3) to be free-thinkers through freedom of expression and non-conformity, speaking up for one's belief.

(Teacher)'s teaching method is very similar to that of Prof. Keating. Both value the meaning and appreciation for literature and morals of life over the studying materials. Through my personal experience in (teacher)'s class, I was a Todd Anderson. Although I wasn't completely introverted and overly shy in the beginning of the year, I highly esteemed grades to meet my parent's academic expectations. I rarely completed assignments with a purpose of appreciating the material but rather to maintain my GPA just as Todd was extremely hesitant when Mr. Keating ordered the rip the introduction out of the textbook. I also am usually a foil character of a class, too reserved to play a major role but bold enough to speak out arbitrarily. Throughout Mr. (teacher)'s class, I experienced a transformation from busywork of poems to enjoyment of literary research through strange analytical approach to literature. We constructed a game in which we had to blindly draw a line across the page without colliding with obstacles to stimulate a real life example of Heart of Darkness. The activity portrayed the novel's idea that imperialistic ideas are blind and apathetic to the cultures and traditions of the victimized country, and the obstacles representing emotional contemplations and physical difficulties that drag Marlow behind demonstrates that to attempt to incorporate a new culture or practice is impossible to accomplish without the acknowledge of and the respect for the differences in culture. We also played a game in which each person spoke a sentence at a time, then a word at a time, and then all at the same time. This stimulation exemplified the revolution to being at Billy's state of "unstuck in time" in Slaughterhouse-Five. Activities such as these has made me analyze novels from a different perspective and, in the process, has made learning enjoyable.

Todd and I were both inspired by teachers to appreciate literature and philosophies of life on a greater level. Perhaps, this is true education: to enable diversity, free thinking, and epiphanies filled with "ah-ha!"s.
yang 2 / 313  
contrast to

contrast with? i don't think contrast to is the right usage.
--yea, i checked and it's in contrast to (adverbial phrase). contrast (verb) to

to that of

correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't that be those since it refer to qualities?

successfully highlights

highlight, your subject's still qualities

real life example of Heart of Darkness

haha dunno what you're talking about YET, but it's still funny

The activity portrayed the novel's idea that imperialistic ideas are blind and apathetic to the cultures and traditions of the victimized country, and the obstacles representing emotional contemplations and physical difficulties that drag Marlow behind demonstrates that to attempt to incorporate a new culture or practice is impossible to accomplish without the acknowledge of and the respect for the differences in culture

this is hell of a long sentence. Maybe cut it with ; or .

for a school paper, this is not half bad. but one thing i'd like clarification upon. In our class we also talked about this movie, briefly. Isn't this where the character suicides because of the teacher's teaching that you have to live the world like there's no tomorrow? (if i'm off track, don't mind the rest)

our teacher argued that Keating is the irresponsible teacher for not giving the consequences to fully living. It's not because that you might die tomorrow that you can do whatever you want today. Life has rules and consequences, and if you lead a careless life since everybody's gonna die anyway, then you might just end up killing yourself when the consequences catch you.

If I'm not completely wrong, then you should prob mention that only the first part of prof's philosophy's actually right, since without worrying about the consequences of your actions is just a stupid and irresponsible teaching.
You can write "seek knowledge" or "search for knowledge" but I think "seek for knowledge" sounds wrong.

Too long and awkward! (below)
English Prof. John Keating, a fictional charact er in Dead Poets Society directed by Peter Weir and AP English Literature and Composition Teacher (teacher) teacher 9name of teacher at XXXXXX High School both exemplify the ability to inspire students by motivating them to seek for knowledge through experience and self-discovery. for a greater byproduct of development in maturity, knowledge, and self-appreciation.

The intro is too general, and the conclusion is too short. Let the intro and conclusion be the most important parts of the essay. Let them answer the question, "Why is it important to write about these two in comparison with one another?"
yang 2 / 313  
yea, but that's just an essay for school, plus she's already "in college" lol :D i think it's pretty good for an english lit class. an 8-9

Home / Writing Feedback / Dead Poets Society movie vs. my classroom