Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Debate Essay: Human Cloning Research

taiyaki 4 / 3  
Human Cloning Research

The scene of this conversation takes place at Sacramento State University science clubroom. This is an argument between Kerry and Joe, who are the members of this club. Kerry joined this club for two years and has a big interest in science and technology while Joe is still a newbie there.

Kerry: Have you read the newspaper this morning? There is breaking news about the scientist who was successful in cloning Dolly sheep. He informed that he would abandon all of research about human cloning. I bet he had to quit because his success wasn't recognized by almost countries, they tried to ban the human cloning research.

Joe: Oh yes, I read it. I think it's better for him to quit his research. Many people agree that human cloning goes against the human morality. It's not the natural process, no one can hold the right to create or own a human being.

Kerry: I don't think so. We are living in 21st century now. This is reality, not morality. Human cloning technology will bring a lot of benefits in many fields such as: beauty business, health care treatment, etc. I think that it's unreasonable to ban this research.

Joe: The Vatican defined that cloning human is "playing god". People were created by the hands of God, no one but God has the right to create a living. Human cloning sounds like making a baby form nothing.

Kerry: I understand that it's hard to convince people when it comes to religious and ground. Many people feel wary of cloning for this reason, yet there is some theologians hold that "playing God" is exactly what God expected us to do. Human are meant to be "co-creator", partners with God in further creation.

Joe: I would admit that while there is a wide range of opinion exists in religious community, "playing God" is not necessarily theologically objectionable. By the way, what can we get from the human cloning research?

Kerry: If you can clone a human, it means that you can create a healthy cell or organ. It will help to reverse the aging process in people. It will bring a huge profit for the business of beauty.

Joe: I wonder if a wise business man would invest in that. Although human cloning research sounds promising, it requires a lot of time and efforts, yet there is not enough evidence that the process will go well and all experiments will be successful. Moreover, it's very hard to make profit from government activity.

Kerry: That's not all. It will make a big hit on health care treatment. The scientists believe that by cloning the healthy heart cells and injecting them in to the damaged heart area, they can treat heart attacks.

Joe: But we can replace natural heart by a machinery heart, right? It doesn't take as much money as human cloning research and we can improve the technology faster.

Kerry: There is a high chance that the patient's body will reject the machinery heart. It's very hard to make non-organic material compatible with organic organ.

Kerry: Putting the heart treatment aside, there is one more important thing that I forgot to mention. The advent of human cloning research will give it possible for infertile couples to have child than ever before.

Joe: I'm aware that the baby will have no soul. After all, it is merely a physical element produced from an existing life. It's not possible to make a clone as your child.

Kerry: A newborn clone is still the same as newborn baby. Newborn creatures are innocent. The clone will grow up normally if we take good care of it.

Joe: When you create a clone and give it to others, it sounds like this clone is an item and people will think they can "own" a clone. There is a high risk that people will take advantage of it and clone massive people to create a group of working underclass.

Kerry: All the activities will be watched carefully by the government and all in details will be treated as classified information. By this way, general public can't get involved in that easily.

Joe: I see. Thanks for your information, Kerry. As expected from what I heard, you are fired up when it comes to science and technology. Please let me know if there is any more information about this research, I'm looking forward to it.

Kerry: Sure, I will.

***Please brief read this essay and help me to pint point out the grammatical errors as well as other errors. Please give me some advice that you think it's good for my essay.

Thank you very much.

Home / Writing Feedback / Debate Essay: Human Cloning Research