Can't decipher this essay format and instructions, anyone want to give it a shot?

linnie 1 / -  
Hi everyone,

I'm so confused about this, but feel really stupid asking, so I apologize.

Anyway,

I'm taking a class on theories in religious studies. The topic for the semester is readings related to Islamism, different authors, how they feel on the subject, etc, and there is also a text Nye's Religion: the Basics.

My entire grade for the class is based on 5 critical essays. However, I am so confused as to how the professor wants the essays done. I've posted the guidelines for the essay and the part about the essays in the syllabus:

Note on the essays from the syllabus:
Option One
Students will write five critical essays, corresponding to five of the six topical divisions in the course syllabus (there are six divisions, so those choosing this option may omit one topical section). Each essay should be no longer than five typed, double-spaced pages and will critically address how the materials relating to Islamism (1) supported and reinforced or, (2) called into question Nye's discussion of religious studies. Students are expected to draw upon all relevant course materials, lecture notes, and may also find it necessary to consult additional resources beyond those offered in class.

Each of the five critical essays will be worth 50 points, for a total of 250 points.

Handout on the essays
Critical Essay Guidelines
The goal of the Critical Essays is to provide you the opportunity to:
Deepen your understanding and consideration of the issues, methods, theoretical approaches, and figures discussed in class
Demonstrate comprehension of the topics you discuss, analyze the theories and concepts considered in class, and evaluate the relative merits of the theories, arguments, concepts, etc. considered in class. In later critical essays, you will have gained sufficient background that you will also be expected to synthesize material and reflect critically on your own evolving approach to the study of religion

The Critical Essays may take a variety of forms. You may wish to examine one of the figures considered in light of Nye's text and consider how that particular figure's work relates to Nye's broader discussion of issues and trends in contemporary religious studies. Alternatively, you may wish to compare the different approaches of two or more figures focused on the same issue, in order to evaluate the effectiveness of their relative approaches. Examples could be multiplied.

My aim is neither to define the Critical Essays to such an extent that you feel unduly limited in what you can write about, nor to give such amorphous and vague instructions that you feel you are lacking direction. I want you to feel free to be creative and pursue your interests. If you have questions about specific topics to write about, feel free to meet with me to discuss them.

Regardless of topic, however, you should bear the following in mind:
The primary focus of the critical essays should be the course materials. While you are free to consult or address additional materials, consider the relevance of the issues discussed in class to contemporary social, religious, or political events, etc., take care to keep you primary focus on the course materials

Your Critical Essays will be stronger if they consider more than one of the authors discussed in class. Comparative and evaluative approaches will provide you a better opportunity to demonstrate a higher level of critical understanding of the materials

Assessment of your work and the assignment of points and letter grades will be based upon the general rubric handed out in class. You should consult this and bear it in mind as you write your Critical Essays.

You should make frequent reference to source materials of any kind, including those used in class. I have no preference as to what style you use to do this, as long as you use it consistently throughout the text. If you need it, I can provide full bibliographical information for the various texts we use in class.

The essays should be five typed, double-spaced pages in length. Please do not exceed five pages (endnotes or works cited will not count for or against overall length). In addition, while you might not require a full five pages to say what you want to say, essays that are significantly shorter than five pages in length will typically receive lower overall grades.

I'm confused about a few things. It's really hard for me to get into the theory approaches, and I'm not sure why, but the reading just seems to go in one ear and out the other. I apologize sincerely since I feel I should be able to understand this since everyone else in my class seems to, but I have a few questions:

-I'm really confused as to what kind of a thesis I will be developing, my main problem. Should I be making a thesis based on my own opinion? If so, is it then appropriate to use "I", and "I think"? Or should my thesis be more like "John Smith's theory on Islam is better than Jane Doe's theory"? And if the second one is appropriate, how do you even find sources that one theory has more merit than another? Besides your own opinion I mean.

-I'm confused about what is meant by "synthesize material and reflect critically on your own evolving approach to the study of religion". Now I know that means I would have to refer to previous papers and my own opinions, but I'm confused at the word 'synthesis'. And how does a reflection back at your own theory fit into an essay format?

I'm just so used to writing English papers that this formula is not computing to me, so I can't fit it into my usual way of doing an essay.

Please help!
nikolnikonchuk 1 / 6  
You might not take my words,please don't, as set in stone but do not use I. any essay unless your teacher streight out sais use I will sound unproffesional sense you are no longer in JH. If you were supposed to use I but didn't, your essay will still sound stronger because it woill be based on facts rather then opinions so it is a + situation either way. Rather then saying someone is better then someone else in one sentance try to develope it over a paragraph by stating the incorect facts of on person and correcting them with the theories of the other. try to prove your point through examples dating from early times to current to prove that your point is held up by society and is not just an opinion. focus on the mentality of individuals and the surroundings that might have effected them to react or think in a sertain way toward what ever you are writing. long story short, prove your point through the mental state and physical actions of individuals through out history toward your subject.

Oh! and Use the opinions of your teacher but outside examples so that you won't be thought of as repetative.
Hope it kind of helped,
sorry if it did not :)

comment on my essay,please?

Home / Writing Feedback / Can't decipher this essay format and instructions, anyone want to give it a shot?