Descriptive Essay: Description of a Flood

Edzo 2 / 2  
Read and tell me what you think please.

The creeping monster steered its way through the ghost town, carrying the dirt and debris as a shield to ram down the rows of homes and buildings. Its muddy, wave-churned body consumed everything in a second as a helicopter hovered over the water filming the catastrophe. The monstrous massacre of houses and trees resulted in an assured death of the town as the gluttonous fiend approached his next prey. The brute started gaining velocity as it enters the town like an anxious tourist. The helicopter, now tentative to follow the pretentious murderer, ascends higher into the sky waiting for the rolling waves to come hurtling down on the municipality. Town after town the hydra continued its slaughter as it gradually enters the city like a charging bull. The caustic tsunami penetrated the metropolitan, still not satisfied with the destruction it's already caused. The seas and waves invaded the land. The interior of the earth moved in a strange way, and the ocean floors lifted suddenly, flooding the dry land. The earth, for the first time, was submerged.
shelok 1 / 3  
Profound. Two thumbs up from me. If there is no word limit, I think you can elaborate even further the minuscule details.
LisaTheKidd 2 / 7  
This is really interesting! I see that you've acquainted yourself with the thesaurus, too!
You wavered a bit on the tense near the end. the piece started out in past tense and i caught an it's at the end, which would be an easy switch to "it had"

I had a bit of an issue with this sentence,
The brute started gaining velocity as it enters the town like an anxious tourist.
Again, you've got a tense disagreement between "started" and "enters," but I don't get the imagery of an anxious tourist. Does it have a fanny pack and a Hawaiian shirt? probably not. It does seem important to note that it's an interloper, but maybe you could say something like, "the intruder broke through the gates of the town as it gained velocity, engulfing another helpless villiage."

It's a very interesting description... what is it for?
over the water filming the catastrophe.

Right here, make it "parallel" with the previous part of the sentence:
over the water and filmed the catastrophe.

Excellent, ominous writing... the rhythm is sort of steady and droning.
(I don't know if droning means what I am tryng to use it to mean.)

Do not use too many adjectives, or they lose their meaning. I don't like "pretentious" here, because it means something specific that does not seem to apply to the story. And... monstrous is probably a little too much, too... monstrous massacre is an example of one adjective too many.

Anyway, you are a great writer! For you, I definitely recommend Stephen King's book called On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.
OP Edzo 2 / 2  
Thanks for the feedback. Ill try to incorporate your advice into my next piece of writing.
kastro28 - / 1  
Thesis statment: The college Presidents ar talking about making the lowering the drinking age 18 years old.Everbody know that one you get into college that you more lkely are gooing to drink at least a couple of times.

Home / Writing Feedback / Descriptive Essay: Description of a Flood