IELTS: When designing, the use of a building is the most important, rather than appearance.

manhmoc 3 / 5 5  

the top priority function of a construction

When designing a building, the most important factor is the intended use of the building, rather than its outward appearance. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Many people contend that the expected function of a building is of top priority, over its exterior display. Although it is irrefutable that the building should be employed at its best potential, I believe focus on only the use of a building is by far the best way to design one.

On the one way, a building is indeed planned out and constructed for a purpose, not just to look at. People seek for practical ways to utilize a space in the most reasonable expenditure, so in some cases outward appearance may be overlooked. For example, that a number of people migrate from hinter land and settle in urban areas does put a strain on city amenity and cause a lack of housing, so high-rise apartment and office blocks or multi-story car parks, though give a city a shabby and chaotic look, are effectively solutions.

On the other hand, I believe architecture is a significant form of art, thus function should not be the primary consideration when designing a building. Architecture and city planning can modify the image of an area. Therefore, it is imperative that sufficient funding be allocated to enhance exterior outlook of buildings, constructing places of interest and facilitate general infrastructure so as to foster tourism. In fact, lots of iconic constructions like the Eiffel Tower or Pisa Tower serve only one purpose as an architect symbol. Furthermore, a fascinating appearance of a building can instill a sense of pleasure to people. For instance, a well-lit and cozy head-office, a colorful kindergarten, an antique bookstore or a fancy fashion boutique are likely to stimulate people's creation and boost up some energy.

In conclusion, while I accept that intended use of a building are important when designing, external image should be equally ponder on.
dodquynh 2 / 5 2  
I think your essay is very good actually. But, you only have one idea in the 2nd paragraph and you haven't really explained why we should prioritize the function of the building.

Good luck!!!
HanNguyen0510 18 / 40 17  
Hi there,
I have some opinions about your essays. I hope it helps

1/ Grammar

There are some mistakes relating to grammar mistakes as following:
- On the one hand.......... On the other hand => Those linking device should come together like this
- ....believe that focusing on or the/ a focus of
-.... people seek for practical ways => we have a structure: seek sth (according to Cambridge Dictionary)
- effectively solution => effective solutions.
...and some other mistakes that you might want to have a look at it.

2/ I think you failed to response the task since the question is: " To what extent do you agree or disagree?", it's an opinion essay and your answer is to discuss both sides of this view.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@manhmoc
Hello!

I'll try my best to provide a substantive feedback on your essay.

In regards to content, I think you have sufficiently expounded on the points present. You were able to elaborate the thoughts you had, focusing on adding examples to create firmer and more established thoughts and opinions on the matter at hand.

When you're writing, you should always ensure that your formatting would be academically appropriate. You can always refer back to your grammar and/or English reference books to help you regards to this. If there are better and more concise ways to put a particular line, opt to do that than having loose and baffling details spread all over your writing.

For instance, take a look at these revisions:

..., a building is indeed planned out and ..., not just to look at for its aesthetics. People seek for practical ways to utilize a space in the most a reasonable expenditure, so in some there are cases wherein outward appearances may be overlooked. For example, that a number ... land and to settle in urban areas, putting a strain on city housing; this is to be resolved with the usage of high-rise apartments. does put a strain ... solutions.

In your third paragraph, you can opt to remove the last sentence as the previous example regarding the Eiffel Tower is already sufficient for a concrete example of the matter.

Best of luck as always!
OP manhmoc 3 / 5 5  
@Maria
Your comments have been always useful, thank you very much. It was a difficult topic to write, I'll try my best to improve my writing afterward.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: When designing, the use of a building is the most important, rather than appearance.