Development and rapid expansion of supermarkets make many local businesses unfit to compete

kitis 1 / 1 1  
TOPIC: Due to the development and rapid expansion of supermarkets in some countries, many small, local business are unable to compete. Some people think that the closure of local business will bring about the death of local communities. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Huge chain stores vs small, local shops

It can be seen commonly in many parts of the world nowadays that rapid growth of super markets are affecting local businesses. Some people are of the opinion that this phenomenon would be a threat to the existence of local communities. While I agree that it would cause some level of damage to the existing domestic businesses and thus the local society, I also believe some would still be able to survive amid this increasing pressure.

To begin with, undoubtedly , large scale multi-national supermarkets pose a great threat to livelihood of many community businesses. Firstly, many people , nowadays, opt for buying products and services from super markets due to their attractive marketing strategies, better customer care services and appealing outlook of the products. Consequently, many local markets are losing many of their regular customers as they are unable to face this increased competition.

Secondly, many locals are finding new employment opportunities at large industries with attractive salary and many other benefits. This also causes much damage to the local product manufacturers as they are unable to find skilled labor to run their businesses.

However, some small scale industries have been able to survive despite the pressure being created by large scale businesses. The most important reason is that many native people still prefer to buy locally made products owing to their high quality and low price. And they have been using these product for a long time and thus they are well aware about usability and durability etc. For instance, many Sri Lankan made costumes are still the best choice among Sri Lankan community as they are made of high quality materials and to suit the weather conditions in Sri Lanka. The other reasons is that local product sellers are finding easy marketing methods on the internet which can reach much wider audience for a low price. For instance , many community business are now using Facebook, Twitter, Google to raise people's understanding about various local product offerings , their prices and quality . As a result, those industries are now attracting more and more local and international customers than they did before.

In conclusion, although it is true that growth of supermarkets are increasingly becoming a threat to the domestic markets , some local industries are still in existence owing to new cheap marketing strategies and strong local customer base. Therefore , I am not convinced that growth of big business would bring about the extinction of local business and the community.
Jnanam Shah 1 / 3 1  
I completely agree with you @kitis. This is brought about by globalization, which in this case isn't beneficial. You could include this in your essay as well. Very well written and I myself learnt something new too! Cheers!
Kapila, when you are asked to write this sort of essay, it is important that you follow the prompt. That is, you either have to agree or disagree with the statement. You cannot be in agreement with both sides. This essay instruction is quite clear about it, only one side must be presented in the discussion throughout. So this means that while you mention both sides in the paraphrased introduction, you will need to end that paragraph with a clear statement about your agreement or disagreement with the presentation. From that point, the essay should only justify your opinion of the matter. The succeeding paragraphs need to present a clear line of thinking and relevant evidence either from personal experience or knowledge, that will help to further strengthen your stance. Remember, this sort of essay is meant to test you analytical discussion skills. That is why you are being asked to take one side of the issue to defend. Therefore, your essay does not meet the prompt requirements and as such, would not get a passing task accuracy score. That in turn, will endanger the possibility of you passing the test. Your current essay discussion would only work in a discuss both opinions with personal opinion statement, which this is not.
OP kitis 1 / 1 1  
Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate your comments , cheers!

Home / Writing Feedback / Development and rapid expansion of supermarkets make many local businesses unfit to compete