[IELTS TASK 1] The diagram shows how a wave-energy machine is designed and where it can be located

thugianggg 1 / -  

The diagrams below show the design for a wave-energy machine and its location.

Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and making comparisons where relevant.
You should write at least 150 words.

The given diagram shows how a wave-energy machine is designed and where it can be located. Overall, the wave-energy machine is used to generate electricity and the location options are different due to its cost and output.

As can be seen from the diagram, this machine includes 2 main chambers. The wave first travels into the lower chamber of the machine causing the water level to rise and then create an airflow. This airflow goes to the upper chamber and makes the turbine begin spinning. At the same time, another turbine is rotated because the air from the outside flows into the chamber and puts atmospheric pressure on the water. This process generates electricity for people on the land.

The location of the machine depends on the cost and output. The nearer machine to the land is installed in an area having a small output which also requires a lower cost to install, while a machine located in a high output place needs a high installation cost

The given diagram

This is a singular reference to an image. Yet, you describe 2 images in the summary, creating a an irregularity in the singular versus plural reference. Please note that you wrote:

shows how a wave-energy machine is designed and where it can be located

Therefore, the numerical reference of your opening sentence should be in plural form (diagrams) or in numerical form (2 differing images). You cannot open with a singular reference and close with a plural reference.

That said, you did an acceptable job of referencing a trend for both images though.

As can be seen from the diagram

Which diagram? This is precisely why you need to clearly identify the differences in image references and use these as a part of the anchor sentence of the reporting paragraph. This unclear reference will cause confusion for the reader who has to read further to get a clear idea of what you are speaking of. You could have said "In relation to the procedular diagram (image 1)" and offered true clarity to your image reference.
nghiabui 2 / 3  
I have been talking to a lot of IELTS examiners and they really recommend me not to use phrases such as "As can be seen from the diagram." Just a tip for you when writing about this kind of thing.
thiendi226 1 / 2  
I think the number 2 should change to "two"
phammai2309 2 / 2  
I think you should have at least two paragraph in body to elaborate your idea. Moreover, you should use more compound and complicated sentences

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS TASK 1] The diagram shows how a wave-energy machine is designed and where it can be located