"the different types of fuels used to power the United States?" -Classification essay

marzyola1 2 / 6  
This is the Professors Prompt for the Classification essay: What are the different types of fuels used to power the United States? What are the pros and cons of each type of fuel?

I have since revised the rough draft in which he commented on but I wanted to give you all his thoughts on the original draft to make sure I have answered his concerns.

These are the Professors concerns: The choice to limit "energy" to "renewable energy" was a sound decision and works well in this paper.

Remember that this is the "United States" or "United States of America," not "America." It's a colloquial nitpick, but an important one.

Your thesis seems a bit too definitive. Aim for a summary thesis with this paper; I think it will serve you better
Watch for pronoun-antecedent issues. For example, you write "Solar power is renewable as it shines nearly everyday." This means that "solar power" shines on us every day, not the sun. I understand what you mean, but the pronoun-antecedent error causes issues.

I don't see any clear or direct significance sentences. This is an issue that needs to be addressed--every paragraph has to directly relate back to the thesis statement

America's need for bigger, better and more has brought this country to make some hard decisions about energy. American's use energy for virtually everything. From simply turning on the facet to the vehicles that are driven, some form of energy is used. As that need becomes more and more pronounced Americans need to be looking into the forms of renewable energy to power this vast country. Renewable energy is considered to energy that does not need any other fuel to harvest or maintain itself. It has an unlimited supply. Renewable energy is energy that is powered by the sun (solar), water (hydro), and geothermal.

Energy harvested from sunlight is called solar power. Solar power is renewable as it shines nearly everyday. It is a good energy option because it is nearly limitless and available all over the United States. Solar power is non-polluting so therefore environmentally friendly. Solar energy does not require any other fuel to produce energy. The potential for solar energy is infinite. On the other hand, the initial investment for solar energy to be harvested is very costly. Another problem with solar power is the sun does not shine 24 hours a day so there is a storage issue. The solar panels used to harvest the sunlight to be converted to energy can be easily damaged by the weather.

Energy that is harvested from water is called hydro power. Hydro power is another great power option because like solar power it is limitless. Hydro power does not use any other form of fuel to produce energy. Hydro power does non-polluting so it is environmentally friendly. Operating costs at the plants are usually low, because the plants are mostly automated. The main drawback of hydro power is the ecological destruction of the land. The building of dams has caused earthquakes at the sites. These dams used to create hydro power can not be built anywhere therefore they are geologically challenged. Dams are also considered to be dangerous because of the potential structure damage and the flooding it could cause.

Wind energy is a renewable energy source. Wind power is non-polluting. It is environmentally friendly because it has a low impact on the land. It does not need any other fuel to produce energy. There are a few drawbacks of wind energy. There is a persistent amount of noise level associated with the wind turbines. Wind turbines decrease the beauty of the landscape. Wind turbines can be easily damaged by weather. The biggest issue with wind turbines it the wind does not blow 24 hours a day, so again storage is needed. They are location focused where the wind is strongest. The initial investment is expensive.

Lastly is geothermal energy. Geothermal energy uses the heat of the planet to make energy. It is consider to environmentally friendly. This type of energy does not need any other fuel to produce energy. Geothermal energy is considered to be clean as the impact on the land is low. On the other hand, this type of energy is very expensive to harvest and maintain. The initial investment is very costly. Geothermal energy is geologically challenged. It can bring toxic chemicals that are beneath the earth onto the surface and create environmental changes.

Since renewable energy does not involve the burning of fossil fuels, they offer numerous environmental benefits. Different renewable energy sources are available all over America. While Americans want more and need more, turning to renewable energy is the only option. Using renewable energy will enhance the loves of Americans.
Hi Dawn, thanks for joining our community!

America's need for bigger, better and more has brought this country to make some hard decisions about energy. ---yeah, he is nitpicking when he says you cannot call it America!!! Wow, that really is nitpicking...

This one is 4easy to fix
Solar power is renewable as the sun shines nearly everyday. It is a good energy option because it is nearly limitless and available all over the United States. world.

you did a great job of discussing the advantages and disadvantages of each!

Whoops, typo: Using renewable energy will enhance the loves lives of Americans.

Well, call it the United States instead of calling it America so that he will be satisfied. :-) nice job!
OP marzyola1 2 / 6  
Thank You very much for your feedback.

Home / Writing Feedback / "the different types of fuels used to power the United States?" -Classification essay