Many different views about the leading role of university education

Jessica Huang 1 / -  
Instructions:
Some people think that universities should provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed in the workplace.Others think that the true function of a university should be give access to theoretical knowledge for its own sake,regardless of whether the course is useful to an employer.What, in your opinion,should be the main function of a university?

meaningful values of education in schools

Many people have different views about the leading role of university education.Some regard academic knowledge as major function,while others think students should be trained to be useful workforce in the society.It seems to me that the both points are of great significance.

Research in a wide range of subjects,such as science and arts ,contributes remarkably to the development of many aspects of human growth.For instance,hand-on experiments lead to plenty of discoveries of chemicals,which may be suitable to be used as a part of new drugs.From an individual perspective,students gain access to explore their potentials and interests,so it is more possible for them to figure out their promising career paths.As mentioned,theoretical knowledge is not incompatible with fostering powerful workforce in labor markets,instead,it's helpful and indispensable.

On the other hand,skills needed in the workplace could be acquired and improved along with academic education.For example,listening carefully to teachers during lectures help students gain the ability to concentrate and grasp points promptly.What's more,respect for others and communication skills are all necessary either in conducting experiments in lab or in discussion groups.No matter in doing manual jobs or office ones,the abilities of dealing with co-workers are must-have,especially for the tolerance of differences.Finally,the skill of time-management and multitasking ability are as important in higher education as in the workplace.

Both professional research and improvement of labor force productivity are of meaningful value in university education.Personally,I am convinced that to pave for getting ideal occupations is the dominating function of a university.
Jessica, I wonder if you know that your essay is 5 words short of the 250 word minimum requirement for this test. Your inability to meet the minimum word count will definitely have an effect on your overall score. Imagine, a mere 5 words could have spelled the difference between getting a passing grade or a failing grade in this test. Those 5 words signify a tremendous score percentage in terms of task accuracy, lexical resource, and grammar accuracy. Don't neglect to keep track of your word count during your practice tests until hitting 250 or more becomes second nature to you. That should be something that you can eventually tell by simply glancing at the length of your paper. Personally, I believe that you could have used 5 more words to further strengthen your introductory statement and personal opinion presentation. These could have been added to the first paragraph where it could have made the greatest impact or served the biggest purpose in terms of increasing your score percentage.

That said, your overall essay lays out well thought out and developed arguments. However, I feel that the presentation of the scientific aspects of the discussion removed some focus from the general strength of your statement, which did not have a particular topic in focus at first. By focusing the topic, you created a discussion specific paragraph that reduced the effectiveness of your generalized statements in the previous and succeeding paragraphs.

Your concluding statement is also too short. Remember, you need to present at least 3 sentences in order to create an acceptable paragraph. It could have been improved by a proper summation that indicated a more accurate prompt restatement, highlights of the points for discussion, and then the repetition of your personal statement.

Overall, your essay has some minimal problems that can easily be solved by being cognizant of your current shortcomings. I know that I can look forward to further improvement in your work over time. Just make sure to not repeat the same mistakes.

Home / Writing Feedback / Many different views about the leading role of university education