Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Is it more difficult to teach children than it was in the past?

summer_0809 1 / -  
Nowadays, life is more and more developed, children also have better life conditions than their parents in the past. A special concern is parents have heavily shoulder responsibilities of teaching their own children in modern life. From my perspective, adults have to face with more challenge to teach the next generation than it was.

First of all, by technology science, the development of modern technology has stronger influences on children than their parents do. Compared to parents' generation, young people, nowadays, spend hours on using many kinds of new technology devices instead of playing with their friends. On one hand, these have positive effects our children life. On the other hand, many TV programs, movies, specially, video games have violent content and bad language, which greatly impact to children watching them. Consequently, children tend to having bad behavior or actions similar to what they have seen on media. For example, a little boy in my neighborhood usually has strange activities such as attacking or fighting to other people. When his parents asked the reason of this action, he responded confidently that he imitated of his favorite movies. Therefore, the more children get impact by modern media, the more parents can not control them.

Speaking of cultural, children are affected by other role models than their parents are. Traditionally, those children take their parents as ideal primary models, follow their ways of thinking and behavior patterns, and as a result, continuously influenced by their parents. Over time, parents' influence as models to their offspring is on the decline because of the culture influence. Young people look up to famous people is the most important influence in lives. They have initiated wearing clothes and saying as same as celebrities such as singers or movies stars. By changing in culture, parents can not make sure that they continue restrain their children lives.

Finally, young generation is growing up in a rapidly changing social and technology, which different from their parents' world. At educational environment, they can have the opportunities to have new knowledge from their friends. In social, they learn new experiences about social skills as communication, cooperation, persuading and many kinds of things from books, Internet, and other people. The most important thing they realize that parents can be important teachers in their lives, but they are not always the best teachers. For instance, one of my little cousins is interested in working with computer. The problem is that he expected their parents support to him, but they are not as proficient as them at using it. As a result, it is difficult for parents' generation to find common points between their children and them.

Home / Writing Feedback / Is it more difficult to teach children than it was in the past?