IELTS WRITING TASK 2 - Discuss - Living in big cities

notaweirdo 1 / -  
TOPIC: Some people believing that living in big cities is becoming more difficult. Others believe that it is getting easier.

Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

The question of whether living in major cities is gradually becoming more and more convenient or not has never failed to attract the attention of society for a long time. In this essay, I will try to discuss both viewpoints before reaching my own opinion.

On the one hand, there are many reasons why having a life in big cities is such an advantageous way of living and can bring various merits to people. Firstly, living in urban areas tends to provide residents with a number of job opportunities. In this way, the aims in people's lives would likely become more and more plausible to pursue and acquire, which is due to the fact that it will help people ensure their career paths, boost their egos, and take hold of their ways of living among many others. Besides, these days, there are several sorts of job choices that can be suited to people from all walks of life, from blue-collar work to white-collar jobs, which potentially plays a significant role in resolving the unemployment issues. Secondly, there is a wide range of services, which is a result of how society is deeply changing day-to-day due to various advanced developments. It's clearly signified that versatile kinds of services have now arrived in our daily lives. For instance, even one of the most trivial tasks, including booking a taxi or ordering food, can now be easily carried out without any doubt. Furthermore, it is also indisputable that thanks to these services which have helped people reduce the burdens from the hustle and bustle of cities, their lives are thoroughly improved in many aspects.

On the other hand, living in the era of urbanization can put people into struggling situations with a number of hardships. First and foremost, one of many alarming issues that people in large cities have to deal with is pollution. Broadly speaking, urban areas have seen a significant rise in the number of breeds of pollution. For example, air pollution, noise pollution, and so forth. These significations of urban life would not only slowly and gradually devastate and contaminate the overall environment but also have enormous effects on people's health in an adverse way. Besides, the more sufficiently the services are supplied nowadays, the higher the living costs are in general. It's due to the fact that compared to life in smaller cities, there is a variety of living expenses that make residents' lives are far more disadvantageous to be met demand such as education spending, hospital fees, and so on. Moreover, instead of putting all efforts into settling in large cities, people can try to stay in a self-sufficient way of life in minor cities or suburb areas, which doesn't cost a deal in living and help residents be able to establish a greener and more eco-friendly lifestyle.

After considering all the facts, I would agree that although living in big cities has some prominent downsides, it still remains essential for people to go in search of life-changing experience and acquire better living conditions in those cities.
I will try to discuss both viewpoints before reaching my own opinion.

While you can opt to repeat the writing instructions at the end of the paragraph, that will not get a score because it does not meet the requirements for the scoring elements in that paragraph. Remember, it is called the "topic restatement + personal opinion presentation". The other keyword being "personal opinion". Therefore, after presenting the 2 public opinion in a rephrased form, the 3rd or last sentence of this paragraph needs to be your clear personal opinion. Why? The task accuracy score for this paragraph is reliant on the correct restatement and the clarity of your personal opinion. Simply repeating the instructions for the discussion does not meet this specific paragraph requirement.

After considering all the facts, I would agree that

The task 2 essay does not allow the writer to present a response to the question in the last paragraph. This is because the last paragraph is used only to summarize the topic and reasoning paragraphs that were previously presented. The personal opinion must be fully developed as a stand alone paragraph, completely explained. The lack of a proper summary conclusion paragraph could very well result in an automatic failing score for the test taker.

An additional error is the approach to the public opinion presentations. Due to the lack of proper referencing that makes it clear that the public reasons are being considered, those 2 paragraphs come across as a part of the personal opinion of the writer. Creating a comparative discussion of the personal kind where a comparative discussion of the public kind is actually required. The format is:

Public opinion + explanation + personal opinion in consideration of the public reasons = Agreement / Disagreement

That discussion format will avoid the need to write 3 individual paragraphs as the writer will be presenting a personal opinion each time. It is a stronger form of personal opinion discussion as a personal opinion for each stance is provided.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 2 - Discuss - Living in big cities