DISCUSS- If living in a country where you have to speak different language can cause social problems

Ann777 1 / 1  
This is a practice of IELTS writing task.Thank you for your suggestions.
Completed subject: Living in a country where you have to speak different language can cause serious social problems, as well as practical problems. Agree or Disagree?

living abroad and speaking a new language

Immigrating to another country or studying abroad where people speak different language is more widespread in recent years, and many countries become multicultural in this way. Some people argue that it will cause serious social and practical problems. However, as far as I am concerned, the country where lots of people come from different countries and speak different languages has many advantages rather than it is a problem- making issue.

First of all, population diversity is definitely positive, and it makes the country active. People who are living in the country where he/she has to speak a new language would be more knowledgeable because the people know one more language skills and cultures. People like this usually bring fresh blood to the society, particularly they are valuable for many international businesses. For example, if Canadian companies are going to expand business to Thailand, they have to deeply understand the culture of Thailand. Thus, companies would like to welcome and hire people who are living in Canada but originally come from Thailand before they actually expand. Although culture conflict might be happened, the company or country can take advantage of diversity instead of escaping it.

In addition, some people argue that living in a country where they have to speak a new language is one of the reasons of suffering discrimination which is another social problem all the time since they believe it seems soft aggression. However, it can be resolved by companies, governments, institutions and individuals by implementing serious policies, rules and anti-discrimination laws. For instance, in Canada, if an employer treats workers who has English accents differently with people who speak English frequently, it can be seen "Language Discrimination", and the employer will get punished as long as workers claim it.

In conclusion, advantages of living in a country and speaking a new language are obviously more than disadvantages such as some possible social and practical problems. It will be dominant and reasonable once all individuals in the society, like employers and governments, take combined efforts on dealing with these problems due to the diversity.
forsil 3 / 4 5  
Hi, @Ann777

I'll try to give you some feedback, however consider that I am not an expert or a mother-tongue speaker, I am studying to do the IELTS too, in few months.

that it this will cause ...

the a country ... different countries (repetition of the same world in the same sentence, you could substitute with cultures)

has many advantages rather than it is a problem- making issue (not clear the construction, you could simply say "has more advantages that disadvantages")

... where he/she has to speak --> It is always also my doubt, anyone else in the forum who knows if there is a rule? Should we use "he", "she" or, as Ann has written, "he/she"?

... conflict might be happened happen

... accents differently with frompeople who speak

In addition there are some passage that are not fully clear to me, e.g.,:
- It makes the country active --> Active in doing what?
- It will be dominant and reasonable --> What will be dominant and reasonable?
- some people argue that living in a country where they ... --> It is difficult to follow the flow of the sentence. I would have written something as "... in a country in which they have to speak a new language has made them subject to social problems such as discrimination, considered like a soft aggression." --> Again do not take my suggestion as 100% correct, it could contain some mistakes too

Hope it will be helpful, good luck with the study ;)

Home / Writing Feedback / DISCUSS- If living in a country where you have to speak different language can cause social problems