Discussion about if dinosaurs are endotherms

baptista 1 / 2 1  

Are dinosaurs endotherms or not?

The lecture talks about the problems with theories presented in the passage which tries to explain that dinosaurs are endotherms. It gives several facts and details, with which the theories are inconsistent.

First, the lecture does not believe that only endotherms can live in the polar regions because of their ability to maintain their own body temperature, thus dinosaurs fossil found in Polar Regions indicates they belong to endotherms. That is because the climate of the period when dinosaurs lived in Polar Regions is warmer than nowadays so that the dinosaurs would not be bothered with cold climates. What's more, even during the cold period, the dinosaurs could migrate to other regions or hibernate like other reptiles do. Therefore, living in Polar Regions could not prove that dinosaurs are endotherms.

Second, even though the reading passage suggests that endotherms have their legs under their body in order to sustain agile physical activity, so the fact that the dinosaurs' legs are positioned underneath their body suggests they are endotherms, the professor argues in the lecture that the reason why the dinosaurs' legs under their body is to add their own weight, rather than supporting activities like running. That is because the bigger a dinosaur can grow, the stronger power it would appear, which means the dinosaurs had no needs to run. Obviously, the professor's argument contradicts its counterpart in the reading.

Third, although many dinosaur bones do have Haversian canal like most of the endotherms , it doesn't prove that the dinosaurs were not always rapidly growing, whereas that fact that the growth rings which the dinosaurs have confirms the frequent fluctuating growing pace of the dinosaurs which is consistent with the characteristic of non-endotherm animals. It is claimed that dinosaurs stopped growing or grew slowly when the climates were cooler, while true endotherms keep growing rapidly a whole year-round.
Shunan, where is the link for the audio file of this lecture? I presume it is an audio file? Regardless, you should have included the link to the topic being discussed so that I can listen to it and compare the information that you have presented. I cannot accurately determine the validity of your discussion without that reference. You should have also submitted a copy of the prompt requirement, if any, that was provided to you for our reference as well. At this point, the discussion that you present is good and makes sense. However, I am unable to determine if this is the accurate way to discuss this topic. I am now questioning why you are contradicting the information that was provided instead of merely summarizing it, as it the norm with these types of TOEFL tests. I need to have additional information from you regarding this discussion before I can accurately give more relevant comments regarding the work that you did.
OP baptista 1 / 2 1  
Thanks for reminding me. Here is the reading passage: (copy-pasted / removed)

Shunan, the summary that you wrote is acceptable if it is to be based upon the content of the audio file / transcript that you provided. The only problem I have with your presentation is that it has a highly mechanical feel to it. While I know that you had to take notes during the time you were listening to the audio file, that does not mean that your presentation had to be in the direct tone that the audio file provided. The essay requires a more engaging tone coming from you, as the listener and summary presentor, The tone that you use and the interesting presentation of the discussion would show that you did more than just take notes during the playing of the file, it would have proven that you were actually listening and engaged in the analytical thought process related to consideration the two sides of the discussion. That said, this was an excellent effort on your part. Try to work on creating a more interest manner of writing these summary essays in your next practice sessions. It is important that you somehow convey the idea that you weren't just taking notes all this time. You have to show an interest and ability to analyze the information on another level. I guess the score for this essay would be somewhere within the 5 range in an actual setting.
OP baptista 1 / 2 1  
Thanks for your comment!I will try to make it better.

Home / Writing Feedback / Discussion about if dinosaurs are endotherms