The downsides of purchasing various products at cheaper prices - Ielts2

Minh2903 6 / 13 3  

People in the community can buy cheaper products nowadays. Advantages & disadvantages?

Hi everyone, I will take the IELTS test next month, so I really hope to receive your comments and feedback about my writing skill and score it if possible. Thank you so much for your review and I really appreciate your help.

These days, people have a greater chance to purchase various products at cheaper prices. While this tendency might bring many benefits, I strongly believe its downsides are much significant.

On the one hand, it is beneficial for customers when the price of products is low. One of the main advantages is that this trend allows low-income people to buy goods with greater diversity, which helps to increase their living standard. If the sales price is too high, people will restrict their payments and solely focus on basic survival needs such as housing, medicines, and transportation. Additionally, since these goods are becoming more accessible and cheaper, the overall consumption is strongly stimulated, which favors the provincial economy. Hence, this eventually enhances the national living standard as a whole.

In contrast, I strongly believe that its drawbacks are overshadowed the positive outcomes. The first reason would be that these cheap products can be made from unsafe chemicals and low-quality ingredients. This might be inevitable since the manufacturers want to cut down on the producing costs in order to decrease the sales price. Hence, using those goods can negatively affect the consumer 's health. Secondly, the cheap prices usually associated with low quality and short-term durability. As a result, buyers might not save money from these goods. Instead, they have to spend more budget on repairing, or before long, they are forced to buy a new one.

In conclusion, while the opportunity in which people can gain access to cheaper products can be advantageous to some extent, I sincerely concern that these shortcomings can lead to the detriments to the society.
Minh, you did not properly analyze the instructions for this essay. This is a single opinion essay that should thoroughly support either the advantage or disadvantage discussion. Since the question is "Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?", You are required to present a 4 paragraph discussion for this essay. The 4 paragraphs should present:

1. Prompt paraphrase
2. An explanation of your personal point of view regarding the various related disadvantages
3. An example that supports the connected disadvantages
4. A concluding summary

The presentation should be similar to:

The residents of a town find that they can now buy affordable products. Due to the ease by which people can own these goods, a question has come forth, do the easy purchases present advantages or disadvantages? This essay will discuss my personal opinion regarding this question by presenting a few reasons in support of one particular point of view.

I believe that there are clear disadvantages to being able to easily purchase products in a community. Some of these disadvantages include the availability of low quality products and the short lifespan of the said product. These disadvantages make the money spent on the product wasteful as the product does not last long in the consumer's hands.

These affordable products are often created at the sacrifice of product quality. these products can be made cheaply because the manufacturer uses cheap materials that do not last long as a final product. As such, the consumer ends up having to buy a replacement product sooner rather than later. While the repeat sales are good for business, this proves to be a waste of hard earned money for the owner of the product since they need to buy the product more than once as the product will keep on breaking.

In the end, money is wasted when purchasing the goods several times. This is the main disadvantage of buying cheap products. Another disadvantage includes the lack of product longevity. That is why I believe that there are more disadvantages for the community when the members buy cheap products.

Approaching the essay in this manner shows that you are capable of thinking of valid reasons to support one point of view. It makes it easier for you to discuss the essay within 4 paragraphs rather than trying so hard to think of 2 opposite reasons to write about within 40 minutes.
OP Minh2903 6 / 13 3  
Thank you so much for your detailed review, my aim for Writing is around 7.5, but it seems that there is a long way to go.

Home / Writing Feedback / The downsides of purchasing various products at cheaper prices - Ielts2