TOEFL - dowsing is a quite efficient way of spotting the location of underground water

Shantalya 1 / 1  
Hello!
Could someone please check on my essay? Here it is:

The article states that dowsing is a quite efficient way of spotting the location of underground water and provides several reasons of support. Nevertheless, the professor does not agree with that point of view and opposes author's arguments.

First, the reading claims that, if concentrated, a person with dowsing tool can find a source of underground water by feeling vibration of streams. The lecturer contradicts that point by saying that modern scientists don't think that these kind of forces are well-grounded. She observes that even highly sensitive instruments have not been able to detect underground water.

Secondly, the article posits that dowsers can discover not only water, but also hidden objects like treasures or bodies. However, the professor doesn't think so. According to her, it's quite equivocal that scientists are able to receive weak radio signals but not the signals from the underneath.

The lecturer also mentions that there have been several attempts to confirm a dowsing hypothesis. Yet, it turned out that with controlled variables the dowsing simply doesn't work.

Many thanks!
Alexandra
love_mashimaro2 - / 22  
I feel like

Nevertheless, the professor does not agree with that point of view and opposes author's arguments.

is a bit out of place. Maybe it should be placed somewhere near the end of the paragraph or when you describe how the professor feels. It would improve the flow of your essay. Also, it would help to reword

However, the professor doesn't think so.

since it sounds a little informal.
OP Shantalya 1 / 1  
Thank you for the feedback! Is "does not agree" better than "don't think so"?
love_mashimaro2 - / 22  
Yeah, it sounds better, but it depends if you include that first sentence I quoted. If you do include that sentence, then you do not need to say

You do not want to be repeating yourself. You can use either sentence since they pretty much mean the same thing.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL - dowsing is a quite efficient way of spotting the location of underground water