Dream Job essay (independent films)

alejandrocastil 1 / 1  
Prompt: What is your dream job?

Each year from June to September over 9000 independent films are sent to the Sundance Institute for the opportunity to be one of the 271 films shown at the largest independent film festival in the US, The Sundance Film Festival. It is the job of just 90 people to watch and review each film and decide on their fate. For months these films aficionados shut themselves from their family and the world. They laugh, cry, fall in love, are left in awe, or are even disgusted with these films. Each film is a gamble; would they enjoy it, would it be next year's magnum opus or would it be a complete waste of time? After months of film reviewing, they pick their favorites, the ones that have fallen head over heels for and the hard work begins. They have to convince their fellow critics that the films they have fallen in love with are worthy of being shortlisted for one of the film industries most selective and elite events. This is my dream job.

My journey into the world of independent films has been a short one but an important part of my maturing. It all began when I watched Wes Anderson's, The Royal Tenenbaums, which upon finishing became my favorite film. Watching that movie was almost like watching my family, that characters were complex but easily relatable. This was something I had never experienced before with fictional characters especially in just 109 minutes. From there I hastily began watching Anderson's full movie repertoire. It was only a short while after that I found that there are hundreds of directors and films whose main objectives are not to be the next summer blockbuster. Instead they tell a story, speak about the human condition, or push the limits of what is acceptable in society. These films are windows into lives I would have never seen, and they highlight key events that all of us go through but tell them so much more beautifully than most other artistic mediums. I have, for the most part lived a sheltered life, while life has thrown a few minor setbacks at me they were nothing compared to what a lot of people my age have gone through. I have not felt the pain of losing a loved one, or other such grief stricken tragedies, but eventually I will. These films don't just showcase negativity they also show people at life's greatest moments. Watching these characters experience happiness, brings happiness to me and I use them as inspiration so that one day I can reach the milestones they have. It may seem odd to some people but these films will serve as impromptu guides for me as I venture from my home and begin to leave my familiarities.

Being able to help choose which films becomes part of the Sundance lineup would be an amazing opportunity. Not only would I get to watch scores of great films but I would give them the opportunity to be shown to an audience that may have never have seen it. Films have such an amazing power to captivate audiences and change minds. These films are usually only watched by certain subcultures in our society. We as a culture are not use to watching a film that requires multiple viewings to truly grasp the director's vision. Instead producers and directors feel that are attention spans are too short for anything too though provoking, maybe they're right. For the minority of us who appreciate the work and don't mind if once a while a movie leaves us asking, what just happened, we do not have many options. That's why The Sundance Film Festival and other film festivals are so important to our culture, because they provide these films which are sometimes easily thrown to the wayside an opportunity to reach the masses. And every so often a film does do that, and usually does not produce earth shattering effects onto culture but they do get people thinking about so much more than themselves and their surroundings. What these 90 people do every year is so unique and beautiful that given the chance to be part of them would be *can't think of a word* (fulfilling?).
Juniper_Jumper 5 / 39  
mmm. okay, so the last paragraph should go before the second paragraph. it flows better that way. first describe why it's your fav job: I like to watch movies and the culture. Then you can go into why you like to watch movies/explore cultures: it shows multiple facets to life. But aside from that, I would pitch the more global community, and the global culture. I think you lean in that direction too, but it's not clear. gl!

If you don't mind me asking, which college is this? I've never seen this prompt before, and I'm surprised their deadline didn't pass. anywho, godspeed!
OP alejandrocastil 1 / 1  
Thank you two for all you input. And to Juniper this essay is for Western Washington University, i'm also sending it to Pacific Lutheran University and Rollins College.

Home / Writing Feedback / Dream Job essay (independent films)