The Dummies of Today's Society.

alswn95 11 / 28  
Today's headlines mainly consist of at least one criteria of violence; for example, gun shoots, sexual assault, or war zone. Since our society is no longer safe, it is natural that one would feel the need to protect themselves from danger. When parents welcome their newborn babies into the world they seem so fragile and feeble that parents instantly make a vow to protect them from the godless world. Some parents loosen up as their children become teenagers. However, overprotective parents will eternally see their child as the frail, newborn baby. Their zealousness to shield their children is not beneficial; rather, it turns them into dummies of today's society.

Overprotective parents have the tendency to steer physical harm, unhappiness, bad experiences, rejections, hurt feelings, failure, and disappointments away from their children. This may seem excellent in theory; in action, over parenting has a negative impact on children's confidence and self-esteem because they depend on their parents too much that they believe that they are incapable of doing anything by themselves. When parents take the fall for their children's mistake, they do not get the opportunity to learn from experience. As this pattern continues throughout their lives, parents, are hindering the child's psychological development. When the children become adults, their maturity is at a children's level because their parents treat them like children. Their level of maturity is not sophisticated enough to deal with the real world.

In addition, overprotective parents deter their children from participating in sport activities because it entails competition and physical harm. Once there is competition someone will eventually get hurt, defeated, and disappointed--the trio combination they want to avoid. Failure is a bitter feeling and everyone wants to avoid it as much as possible. However, failure is essential for the child to challenge themselves to become better. There cannot be success without failure and many children with over protective parents are not highly successful because they never challenge themselves to become better.

Moreover, protective parents might turn their children into friendless creatures at school because they do not have the occasion to bond with each other at school parties, sleepover, or just hanging out because the parents feel that there would be insufficient supervision. Being isolated at school for a long period of time will make them socially awkward sooner or later. They would have hard to adjusting in universities where everything is all bigger and much more self-reliant. Too much over protection can produce children who are not ready to interact with the normal on goings of the society because they have been psychologically nurtured.

All though overprotective parents may believe that this is the best parenting style, most cultures in the past had a laissez-faire approach and children turned out to be strong, independent adults. In most cultures, young adults move out once they enter college. Moving out is one step closer into becoming a full-time adult because they pay their own bills, plan budgets, and finish the chores. However, over protective parents may want to hold on to the string they share with their children as long as possible, therefore, persuade them to stay at home. Laissez-faire parents usually do not provide excessive guidance and discipline. They would make suggestions, but they would not say no to their children's decision. At the beginning, children may make stupid mistakes, but the glory of failure is when they learn from their past experience. The laissez-faire approach teaches the child through actual life experiences that will prepare into entering today's society.

Overall, parents are more over protective today than before because our world is always at some kind of danger, therefore, out of love for their children they can become too over protective. As Dalai Lama once said, "A balanced and skillful approach to life, taking care to avoid extremes, becomes a very important factor in conducting one's everyday existence." Too much protection is more harmful to the children than benefitting them because it does not give them a chance to experience life on their own. If they rely too much on their parents, they would not be able to make their own decisions and learn how to face today's society. Over protective parents should learn to control their fears and learn to accept that children can handle the dangers all by themselves so they enter the real world prepared, not like dummies.
... for example, violence manifests as shootings, sexual assault, and war zones.

This essay is much better than I thought it would be. I looked at the word dummies, and I thought the essay was going to be low quality. I really recommend experimenting with other words that you can use instead of dummies. However, that might be the best word. I just don't like the title. Today's Society is kind of a cliche. I sort of think it might be best to write something in the title about overprotective parents, so that the title reflects your theme.

I don't think it is the word dummies that is not good; I think the title just needs to be changed so that it does not say "today's society" and so that it says something about overprotective parents.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / The Dummies of Today's Society.