earth hour or how to save the world -essay

quia 1 / 1  
I need to present about how to save the world. So I choose a topic about an earth hour.I am trying to write an essay about earth hour, but I don't know whether my point in my essay is correct or not. May you check for me? please...

Earth Hour is a global event organized by WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) asking households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour. This is to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change. The event began in Sydney in 2007, when 2 million people switched off their lights. Following Sydney's lead, many other cities around the world adopted the event in 2008. Earth Hour 2010 will take place on March 27, 2010 from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm at local time. The purpose is to encourage long term actions by reducing the size of the carbon footprints of individuals because carbon dioxide is one of the main gases that cause global warming.

First of all, this global event can reduce the global warming that happens nowadays. Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans. The average temperature of planet Earth has gone up by 0.7 degrees Celsius over the past century. For us this may not sound like much, but in our body this would cause us to feel ill. So, of course we want to know what causes this temperature increasing. In the early twentieth century a Swedish physicist named Arrhenius calculated that the burning of coal could release enough carbon dioxide into the atmosphere to raise the temperature of the planet. This has been happen up to 30 years ago.

Secondly, we also can save the energy of electricity consumption. By saving energy, the power station that generates electricity to power our house doesn't have to generate as much energy. Currently, the main method of generating energy is to burn coal, gas or oil, which produces a lot of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. So, power station doesn't need to burn too much coal, gas or oil to our house. Then, its will less carbon dioxide is given off. As a result, less carbon dioxide means slower global warming. Statistics taken from the United Nations indicates that carbon emissions in Malaysia have increased by 221 percent since 1990. The country that makes best result during earth hour last year is from Christchurch, New Zealand. The city reported a drop of 13% in electricity demand. The worst result was from Calgary, Canada. The power consumption actually went up to 3.6% in electricity demand.

Last but not least, as a developing country we also may reduce air pollution. Even though only in one hour, we and all people in the world might reduce little bit the air pollution. Carbon dioxide also causes air pollution. Air pollution comes from coal burned, gasses from factory and so on. By switching off the electricity, we can reduce coals burned that need to generate energy that causes air pollution that will damage the natural environment.

As conclusion, we should take part in the Earth Hour event. It will increase awareness to us about the climate change to reduce the carbon footprints. By switching off for at least one hour, we can help ease pollution such global warming, overuse the energy and air pollution. Actually, the Earth Hour cannot solve all the ills of the environment, but let it be our resolve to heal the environment. Prevention is better than cure.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
You say that you need to "present" about how to save the world. Does that mean that this is a speech or presentation rather than an essay? This matters, as speeches and presentations must be structured differently than written works.

Assuming that this is an essay, the big question your reader will have is how one hour can make a difference in the huge environmental problems you have outlined so deftly. What is the theory behind the hour? Just saving whatever can be saved during that hour? Or provoking participants to be more mindful during all of the other hours of the year? Explain that in your conclusion rather than relying on the trite sayings that you now use as your concluding thoughts.
Diiyah 3 / 7  
your presentation brings up good points but maybe you should brain storm more significant methods to "save the world". i took an environmental science class, and there are plenty of more substantial methods that have more drastic effects then just saving energy for one hour. i would suggest doing more research, maybe on topics such as carbon fusion energy instead of carbon fission, or geo-thermal heating systems.

hope that helps :)
jgv115 4 / 25  
A lot of people could argue:

"We've been using fossil fuels as a source of energy for years, how can 1 hour make a difference?"
OP quia 1 / 1  
it is still earlier for us to make judgment.

Home / Writing Feedback / earth hour or how to save the world -essay