IELTS: Economies and the Environment

April April 13 / 148 22  
When a country becomes richer, the natural environment will suffer. It is not possible for a country to both develop its economy and protect the environment. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

It is stated that the more affluent a country becomes, the more severely the environment is damaged; therefore, it is impossible to develop the economy without making the environment suffer. I do not entirely agree with this statement.

First of all, it is indisputable that many countries are exploiting the environment and its resources to make profit. For years humans have been utilizing non-renewable resources such as gold or platinum to produce goods for domestic use or sell them to countries where these are not available. We are also disturbing the habitats of animals by building factories where they live. This has led to the degradation of the environment. A report demonstrated that after a ten-year period, the people of Australia became wealthier with the annual income rising 0.9%; however, 23% of the habitats of plants and animals were destroyed and the diversity of the ecosystem was reduced.

Nevertheless, I am not wholly convinced that it is not possible to protect the environment and develop the economy at the same time. Some people think a flourishing economy is the result of more advanced technologies and more factories being put into use, which in turn creates a great deal of smog and pollutants. This is true to some extent, yet I am of the opinion that nowadays, scientists are working on modern technologies that are cheap, effective and environmentally friendly. A study, which was carried out in a factory in Germany, showed that after two years of using ecological engineering for wastewater treatment, the level of pollution in the area decreased by 37%. This means that ecofriendly technologies play a crucial role in tackling the negative effects of human beings' activities on the environment.

All in all, it cannot be denied that when a country becomes richer, the environment will suffer from knock-on effects. However, I believe that it is possible to both develop the economy and protect the natural world. If proper measures are taken, there is no reason why a prosperous economy leads to an unhealthy environment.

Could anyone suggest some synonyms for environment and resources? And what kinds of examples can I give besides statistics?
Please give me some feedback. Any comments are appreciated!
frozener 1 / 4  
The essay is pretty good I have only one note: "I do not entirely agree with this statement.". I think it is not very appropraite to write such sentences in an essay. Another synonyms for enivronment and resourses are nature, assets, stock, climate, surroundings, habitat.
supercool 1 / 4  
great essay!!
i feel it would have been better if you could elaborate a little on impact of neglecting environment
like global warming, climate change, extinction of animals and plants etc which will ultimately affect economy and people!!
jobymonpj 8 / 17 1  
A report demonstrated that after a ten-year period , the people of Australia became wealthier with the annual income rising 0.9%; however, 23% of the habitats of plants and animals were destroyed and the diversity of the ecosystem was reduced.

(I didnt understand why you used'past tense' in the later part of this sentence)
You are suppossed to talk about some predictions that will/may happen after 10 years.

Why cant you say that economy in your village or local area grew without destroying the nature.You could support your argument by illustrating the steps taken by the local authorities such as strict rules for waste disposal ,limiting the consumption of water and electricity and production of electricity from renewable energy sources like wind.

Eventhough your grammer and vocabulary are excellent,your second paragraph lacks good points.

I think we do not need to give true information in ielts essays .If i were you, Iwould give some personal examples to support my idaes instead of thinking about statistics.
OP April April 13 / 148 22  
Well I used past tense because the research was carried out years ago.
But thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider them.
Btw, most information in my essay was made up. I wouldn't spend time searching for real statistics before writing an essay.
Thanks anw :)

And thank you, anjali!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Economies and the Environment