educate wrongdoers or sending them to jail

allen_wang 1 / -  
Every year thousands of criminals are imprisoned. Governments have to take methods to rehabilitate them. In developing countries, like China, most criminals are limited in a small room or forced to do physical jobs. There is a growing concern that imprisonment is a less effective form of punishment; therefore, some experts maintain that we should educate wrongdoers instead of sending them to jail. In order to reduce the crime rate, I think the government should indeed educate and train them as well as put those who commit serious crimes in prison.

Education is crucial to rehabilitate an offender. Nowadays, governments, especially in developed countries, try to offer crimals an opportunity to accept education. It first changes wrongdoer's attitudes toward society and family, which will make them easier to blend into society. The second benefit is to prevent offenders' peer group effect. Because of receiving education in a proper learning environment, offenders have a lower chance of reinforcing each other's criminal behaviors in group situations.

In addition, offering criminals opportunities to get job training will benefit both themselves and even society as a whole. For wrongdoers, they can acquire some useful practical life skills in jail. For example, governments could invite experts in agriculture, IT or other areas to teach them. Hence, it is easier for them to find a better job after they will be released. Since criminals already have been well-trained, it is easier for them to earn a living; thus, they are less likely to steal, rob, and do other crimes again. As a result, the society will become more secure and peaceful.

However, the government should put them in jail, especially those who commit serious crimes or refuse to admit their guilt, because many of them are very dangerous. It is disturbing to think that some killers are walking on the street freely instead of being in the prison. On average, criminals are more aggressive and cruel than ordinary people; hence, it is suitable to separate them from others. Undoubtedly, this is an effective measure to reduce re-offending.

In conclusion, less serious offenders can benefit from vocational training and education, while those who commit serious crimes should be trained in the jail. In this way, the government will keep the crime rate at a low level; meanwhile citizens would enjoy a secure life.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi :) I can make some suggestions:

In developing countries, like China, most criminals are limited in a small room or forced to do physical jobs.
I don't think that "limited" is the right word, I am not sure what you mean when you state this- I assume you mean the live in a limited space- a cell.

There is a growing concern that imprisonment isa less effective forman ineffective system of punishment; therefore, some experts maintain the belief that we should educate wrongdoers instead of sending them to jail.

NowadaysCurrently , governments, especially in developed countries, try to offer criminals an opportunity to accept an education.
Because of receiving education in a proper learning environment, offenders have a lower chance of reinforcing each other's criminal behaviors in group situations.
Excellent point! Good critical thinking.

For wrongdoers, they can acquire some useful practical life skills in jail.
"useful practical" sounds odd, choose one word or the other.

You have done a great job with this essay. I cannot find many errors, so I hope these suggestions help! Good luck in school :)

Home / Writing Feedback / educate wrongdoers or sending them to jail