Essay on Education In Developing Countries

MakeAnImpact97 2 / 6  
Hey guys! This is my first thread as I'm new to the board. I'm Lloyd and you'll probably see my name around here for the next while. I would like to thank those in advance who help constructively criticize my essays!

In the past decade, millions around the world have been pulled out of poverty by economic growth, effective development aid, and sheer hard work due to education (Krishna 1). Today, there are still children in developing countries who are not getting enough academic education (Guttman 1). Poor health care stands in the way of students getting the education they need, as most families suffer in poverty and can't afford to buy medicine (Krishna 1). With education, the increased job opportunity expands, making medicine affordable. Education is imperative for success as learning and education are at the heart of all economic and social development. By learning, individuals are empowered with knowledge and skills to better their lives. A strong education background can beat poverty. Education in developing countries is the leading global concern as there are many barriers preventing students from getting the education they need.

We face a critical issue today: Children are not getting enough education. There are an alarming number of students in developing countries that are not attending school (Guttman 1). Lack of students in school means lack of economic and social prosperity. Education depends to a large extent on ensuring that children, youth, and adults benefit from good quality learning opportunities that allow them a better future. Education is a fundamental skill we must have in our daily lives in order to be successful and to overcome poverty. In 2000, United Nations started "Educational For All". "EFA's agenda consists of binding universal primary education, early childhood education, superior lifelong learning, and literacy (Guttman 49)." This agenda is very important to ensuring full enjoyment of the human right to education and achieving sustainable and fair development. Lourdes de Vera-Mateo, a UNICEF official, reported that "82 percent of children who abandoned their schooling said they cannot afford to buy lunch for cited lack of money for class contributions (Llanesca 1)." With the poverty issue so large it interferes with education, we are responsible to make sure all the students have the supplies needed to go attend school. All cash investments put in now will eventually profit in the future, as educated students will now be able to contribute to society with their academic skills. Universal education has been on the global agenda since the 1948 Declaration of Human Rights proclaimed free and compulsory education to be a basic human right (Bloom 1). Why aren't any governments doing anything about it? The reason is because they have not seen detailed documents on the globally transformative effects that would follow from educating their citizens with the equivalent of today's primary and secondary education (Bloom 2). A major preventative factor in seeing improved reports of effects of education in youth is due to the expensive and mismanaged healthcare system in many countries.

If affordable healthcare is covered, the increased learning and student population rate will result in a strong economy and prosperous society. Healthcare is arguably the principal barrier in developing countries. The healthcare system is poorly run and can make families go bankrupt due to its high cost. "I found that health and healthcare expenses are the leading cause for people's reversal of fortune." (Krishna 1) Krishna goes on to explain that

In the company of newly poor households in 20 villages of western Kenya, 73 percent referred ill health and high medical costs as the most important cause of their economic deadline. In 36 villages of Gujarat, 88 percent of people who fell into poverty blamed their fortune on health care. 67 percent of recently impoverished people in Peru blamed ill health, inaccessible medical facilities, and high healthcare costs. One major illness in China typically reduces family income by 16 percent...(Krishna 5)

As growth of economy definitely helps lift people out of poverty, governments must stand firm to prevent backsliding of economy by providing affordable, accessible, and reliable healthcare. Governments can learn by educating themselves on the history of several issues in the back and the results.

... At 4 percent, Japan's poverty rate is amongst the lowest in the world. Sustained economic growth undoubtedly helped, but so too did their unique set of policies. Quite early in the country's post-WWII recovery, Japanese officials recognized the critical relationship between illness, healthcare services, and poverty creation. And they responded by making universal healthcare mandatory in the early 1950s (Krishna 4).

Large families exist in developing countries, usually due to the poor health of parents. At frequent times, they are ill and are not able to perform regular duties, so they tend to produce a large family. Their "solution" leads to a bottomless pit. The trouble with this is that a large population uses more natural resources and if in a mismanaged economy, it will only weaken further with resources also becoming scarce. Due to the high cost of healthcare, most citizens are forced to make do with what they have. This is risky and results in a high death rate as safety practices are not promoted (education can help!), and proper tools may not be adequate for their job. With knowledge of education, all these issues can be managed, controlled, and dealt with intelligently.

Every year, about 536,000 women die giving birth. In some poor nations, dying in childbirth is so common that almost everyone has known a victim. Take Sierra Leone, a West African nation with just 6.3 million people: women there have a 1 in 8 chance of dying in childbirth during their lifetime (Vivian 1).

Maternal deaths are only one example. There are many others such as AIDS and Malaria (which is the leading death of children under 5 year olds in developing countries (Oketch 1)). Death and Diseases can cause instability in families and society, and furthermore becomes a barrier to receiving proper education.

Education is imperative for success as learning and education are at the heart of all development. "At the World Economic Forum in January 2005 in Davos, Switzerland, business and political leaders ranked education as a leading global concern, recognizing it as a key to beating poverty (Matsuura 2)." Organizations and governments around the world are all starting to realize that lack of education really is the leading global concern. Take a look at societies throughout history. They have acknowledged the importance of education to human progress. The Book of Instructions helped the Egyptians. Greece's academy of Socrates and Plato taught Greece citizens how to think. The Muslims had their early Quranic schools. We know can refer back to history as we can determine if education really is worthwhile or a waste of time. Recent research shows that cognitive skills are required to make better-educated choices about the HIV/AIDS risk, reducing poverty, health, sanitation and environmental sanitation (Guttman 4). This is why achieving all the Millenium Development Goals - among them reducing poverty, empowering women, improving health, sanitation and environmental management, depends to a large extent on ensuring that children, youth and adults benefit from good quality learning opportunities, enabling them to better the future (Guttman 4). More doctors can improve health standards. More recreational development workers can improve sanitation. More scientists can help reduce environmental mismanagement and provide alternatives. The list goes on.

Education enables human beings to develop their capacities so that they can lead fulfilling and dignified lives. Due to the lack of education in developing countries, families and children suffer from poverty, health care, malnutrition and much more. However, millions of people have been pulled out of poverty in the past decade, and will continue to do so only with our support in the structure of education in developing countries. To defeat the global concern of lack of education in developing countries, we must educate ourselves of the flaws in the system and correct them. "We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build the youth for our future" - Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Hi Drew,

Please do not paste material from other websites! If you are able to find info about the topic online and gather it together this way, it should not be hard to re-word everything and come up with a great essay. Your writing really will improve if you work through each essay assigned between now and graduation. Writing is not as bad as some people think! From your charismatic introduction of yourself, I see that you know something about how to communicate with rhythm and clarity.

I look forward to seeing your essay!

:)
Was it in your own words? If so, I am sorry!! However, I found part of it online. If you take material directly from an article, you need to use quotation marks.

Sorry if it was my error! Please repost -- all original material -- and I will try to help.

Thanks!!
OP MakeAnImpact97 2 / 6  
Actually, I did double-check after I commented and found some parts of it still matching the words online. Thank you for pointing it out (I could have gotten 0 on it if I had handed it in). I will fix it up and re-post. Thank you very much Kevin!
Children are not getting enough education.

This, above, is not clear or specific. It looks like it is your thesis statement, so don't be vague.
It seems like you meant to say there are too many children who are going without an education.

An alarming number of students in developing countries that are not attending school (Guttman 1).

And for this below, you need to have the " mark after the word "poverty" instead of after the parenthetical citation:

"At the World Economic Forum in January 2005 in Davos, Switzerland, business and political leaders ranked education as a leading global concern, recognizing it as a key to beating poverty " (Matsuura 2).

Looking good!!!
OP MakeAnImpact97 2 / 6  
Hey Kevin, I'm looking to delete this post as this keeps showing up in google. Any way I can do it?

Thanks

I'm trying to do the same for my other post
I just noticed something else. When you quote a source in MLA, put the " marks before the period.
...political leaders ranked education as a leading global concern, recognizing it as a key to beating poverty" (Matsuura 2). Check the TOS about removing material; it explains what to do.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay on Education In Developing Countries