Education should be free irrespective of students' financial background. Agree or disagree

virgobas 1 / -  

tuition-free education?

Topic: Everybody deserves to be educated. It's unfair that intelligent people are not admitted to universities because of their financial background. University education should be free for everyone. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

In recent years, the opinion on free education has largely been divided due to its controversy. Although many policymakers and education planners are convinced of the downsides of the tuition-free system, the positive impacts of it on young generations and societies cannot be taken lightly.

On the one hand, a free education system could be greatly beneficial for each individual. First, since the opportunity for higher education is distributed evenly irrespective of students' financial background, everybody would have an equal chance to enhance their life skills and background knowledge. As a result, he or she would enter the job market with confidence and have a secured future. Second, free education is not an indication that students don't pay for tuition. In facts, as governments fund education by using taxes, students have already paid the college tuition in the form of taxes.

On the other hand, governments would be rewarded in the long run with the implementation of the free education policy. A significant number of educated citizens greatly contributes to the development and prosperity of a country. As one can perceive, any bachelor and master degree holder can be the next Stephen Hawking or Bill Gates who likely to pave the way for innovations in technology and science for his or her own country. In addition, free education promotes equality. Since everybody has equal rights to pursue higher education, the social equality is restored, thereby preventing potential social unrest stirred by poor and uneducated communities.

In conclusion. the question of a tuition-free education system is open to debate. Given the advantages of an open and equal education system that admits students without considering their financial background, the necessity of free education is undeniable.

Thank you very much!
feliciatu 4 / 5  
Nice essay to outline your views!

Here my idea of rewriting our sentences.

... education has increasing been discussed due ...
... are convinced of in the downsides ... positive impacts of it from it on ... cannot be taken easily.
Phuong, this is an extent essay that relies on your opinion of the given topic. This is not a comparison essay as you have it presented at the moment. Although you could have done a comparison essay discussion for this essay, you could have only successfully done that if you had properly formatted your discussion thesis based on the original instructions. That is the main reason why your essay comes across as an essay that does not appropriately discuss the given prompt statement. In this essay, you haven't really made a decision regarding which opinion you support, which is the whole point of the essay. If I were the one who had written the prompt paraphrase, I would have said the following:

There is a growing discussion as to whether the government should provide intelligent people with a free college education. There are people who believe that universities should not prevent bright students from attending college just because they cannot afford to pay for it. I completely agree that college education should be free for intelligent people based upon a number of considerations.

This is the sort of prompt that does not have a middle ground in the discussion. You need to either agree or disagree. If you agree then explain why based upon specific information. If you disagree, you need to have compelling reasons to oppose the original discussion. Your essay does neither of these effectively. It is weak because it does not take a true side in the discussion and it doesn't make sense because you refused to present your personal opinion in the essay.

Your summary conclusion creates a prompt deviation because you are discussing the necessity of a free education instead of the right of a student to a free education. Those are two different topics which means you did not conclude the essay in the proper manner. Rather, you have an essay that is open ended, which means your essay will not receive a passing score in the actual test.

Home / Writing Feedback / Education should be free irrespective of students' financial background. Agree or disagree