IELTS essay about the effects of future developments in the field of IT

moutaz1978 2 / 3 1  
In the last 20 years there have been significant developments in the field of information technology (IT), for example the World Wide Web and communication by email. However, future developments in IT are likely to have more negative effects than positive.

To what extent do you agree with this view?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words.

From the evidence of developed countries it seems inevitable that in the last two decades there have been many technological developments in the field of information technology. As a result, many people have access to several facilities that improve their living standards. However, it is usually the case that this is not equally welcomed by some people who have concerns about the day to day communication of human beings and other negative impacts on our lives. It can be argued that further IT developments will produce more negative effects that positive ones.

To begin with, these advanced developments have brought enormous benefits to our lives. Email has made communication, especially abroad, much simpler and faster, resulting in many benefits for education, business and commerce. A good illustration of this is that part-time students can now register at any university of their choices that offers distance learning system so that they can work and study at the same time. Furthermore, the World Wide Web means that information on every conceivable subject is now available to us. For example, people can surf the Internet to read some information about products before they buy them.

Nevertheless, the effects of this technology have not all been beneficial. For instance, many people feel that the widespread use of email is destroying the traditional form of communication such as a letter writing, telephone and face-to-face conversation. Moreover, with the large size of the Web, which seems to be nearly impossible to regulate and control, many people have concerns regarding children accessing unsuitable websites and viruses. In term of this, children are encouraged and led by bad influences such as excessive drinking, assault and smoking. Therefore, with ever increasing use of information technology these negative elements are likely to increase in the future.

In conclusion, IT developments have brought many positive benefits, yet as far as I am concerned, further developments are likely to produce several negative influences that will need to be addressed carefully.
fahadbd 25 / 56 5  
However, it is usually the case that this is not equally welcomed by some people who are concerned about the day to day communication of human beings and other negative impacts on our lives. It can be argued that further IT developments will produce more negative effects that positive ones.

To begin with is used in formal speaking
Hi,
First, please open your IELTS related topics in the Writing Feedback forum. It's the forum rule and it also helps you earn more attention of others when you are in the right forum.

It can be argued that further IT developments will produce more negative effects that positive ones.

Express your position firmly rather than keeping it more open.
gmad06 20 / 151 55  
Good essay but I seem to notice you've been talking repeatedly about WWW and email. You should not limit your ideas on both
as they are given examples only to give you guidance.
From the evidence of developed countries it seems inevitable that in the last two decades there have been many technological developments in the field of information technology.

... why do you cite developed countries? Even in developing countries such as India or China (which are not yet rated as developed) you can very well see this trend. It is always better to keep your topic in a broader sense without narrowing it down. You may run into problems by doing so.

Nevertheless, the effects of this technology have not all been beneficial.

Nevertheless, the development of information communication systems have not always been beneficial to society.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS essay about the effects of future developments in the field of IT