IELTS TASK1: US Electricity out put during 1970 & 1984

koei1982 4 / 11  
Given pie charts compare output electricity based on variety sources in the United States between 1970 and 1984.

A glance of the graphs, it is clear that the majority of electricity production depended on exhaustible sources in both years, coal, natural gas and oil portioned 46%, 24.3% and 12.1% respectively in 1970, comprised more than 80% of the whole. Until 1984, although the need for power generated by natural gas and oil drop to half of original demanding, however, the usage of coal rose almost 10 percent. The most remarkable change was the use of nuclear, from 1.4% to made up ten times larger than in 1970. Interestingly, the adoption of hydroelectricity for power generation did not present its renewable value, the hydroelectric power of entire electricity production remained more or less the same in both years, at about 15%.

In conclusion, it is a well-known fact that resources such as coal, oil and natural gas are not always available. Therefore, it is predicted, the employment of renewable energy will become more urgent in the coming years.

Mizu - / 3  
Hi,
That's what I see:

1. Always use paragraphs:
1) Introduction, where you MUST rephrase the name of the pie chart, but not copy it
2) 2-3 parargaphs, where you describe these pie charts. But don't just write the numbers, %, shares... Find the main tendencies and describe them. You don't need to analize every figure

3) Conclusion. In conclusion you should make a short overview of your 2nd, 3rd and (if you have) 4th paragraph. And you write " it is a well-known fact that ...". Well-known fact it's not a conclusion, it's just a fact. Your conclusion should emphasize the main tendencies of your pie charts, it should summarize everything what you've wrote above

2. Try to write in present tence not in past. You have info about somthng in the past, but you should describe pie charts/tendencies/lines/percents/ shares which you see now, in present. Read some analitical papers in Business Week, The Economist, WS Journal and you'll see. PRESENT TENCE!

3. In the tasks like this NEVER make the prediction. Nobody asks about the future and your opinion about it. Just DESCRIBE figures.

Good luck!
Mizu
OP koei1982 4 / 11  
2. Try to write in present tence not in past. You have info about something in the past, but you should describe pie charts/tendencies/lines/percents/ shares which you see now, in present. Read some analytical papers in Business Week, The Economist, WS Journal and you'll see. PRESENT TENCE!

Hi, I do have some questions about your advices.

1. This was statistics in 1970 and 1984, why it is wrong to use past voice?
2. About the prediction, actually, many tutors recommended it if students have spare time, write a little prediction is fine, it make your essay more convincible.

Here's evidence:
ieltstips.com/ielts_test_tips/writing_test_tips/writing_test_tips.html
ieltsielts.com/ielts-writing-task-1-academic-written-response-from-start-to-finish-video/
Mizu - / 3  
Hi,

the 1st one isn't connected with IELTS, it's just my experience of daily reading of analitical staff. I know it's better for good quality econ.magazines for example, but I don't know if it's better for IELTS

the 2nd one is my personal experience. I had 2 months of IELTS preperation courses and after my first 2-3 essay I've got the same comment: NEVER make the prediction! And a lot of info in internet also include something advices like "report without the use of opinion".

Anyway, I think that Cambridge IELTS is the best way to prepare and it can give the answers for all the questions. I have the last book, you can write me your e-mail, I'll send it to you.

Mizu

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK1: US Electricity out put during 1970 & 1984