IELTS Task 2: Electronic calculators should not be allowed in school

tiaDS 73 / 235 52  
Some people believe that electronic calculators should not be allowed in school until after the pupils have mastered mental arithmetic. Others believe that calculators save pupils time, especially with complicated calculations. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Japanese students who become the winner in World Mathematic Olympiad have educated to improve their arithmetic skill from early age without using a tool. The same condition in my country, Indonesia, is not allowing students to use electronic calculators until they have mastered mental arithmetic skill and some people argue that electronic calculators are forbidden to be used by pupils. However, critics claim that this tool can help children to count in the short time. In my view, calculators are needed in the specific lesson, while it will give bad effect for children if they always calculate the little digits with calculators.

Perfect practice makes perfect result which is the best quote to depict that we have to build ability from early. As such, giving reflection if children use calculators to count number in the mathematic lesson will give a bad habit, because they cannot improve their brain, for instance. Moreover, mastered mental arithmetic is to establish for improving logical brain. As a result, if schools allowed to use calculators for counting the short digit number which means that schools give a bad consideration for pupils' mental arithmetic.

However, in the some lessons need electronic calculators to help students saving time when they face the complicated calculations. Accounting lesson which has complicated calculations has more than 7 digits which are impossible for pupils to calculate manually, for instance. So, schools should create a policy when students can use the electronic calculations and when these equipments are not allowed. I can argue that for toddlers who still study in the elementary school are forbidden to use calculators.

A study of scientists conducted that there are differences between students who have mastered mental arithmetic and have not this ability. They will get problem with logical brain because their brain is not getting exercise to give direct respond when they attempt to count little digit numbers.

To sum up, electronic calculators will help students to calculate numbers which consist of many digits, while in the practice it will influence students who still improve mental arithmetic to take a problem in their logical brain. In my view, schools should pay attention to allow electronic calculators can be used only in the few subject, such as physic and accounting.
Japanese students who become the winner in World Mathematic Olympiad have been educated to improve their arithmetic skill from early age without using a tool.

Japanese students who become the winner in World Mathematic Olympiad have educated to improve their arithmetic skill from early age without using a tool. The same condition in my country, Indonesia, is not allowing students to use electronic calculators until they have mastered mental arithmetic skill and some people argue that electronic calculators are forbidden to be used by pupils.

These are more or less examples which the reader would not be interested in knowing in your introduction. Your first job in the intro is to introduce your topic to the reader.
Perfect practice makes perfect result which is the best quote to depict that we have to build ability from early.

... well this sentence is pretty confusing :(
You need to express your ideas clearly and completely. The above sentence ends pretty abruptly :( This is my suggestion;
"Perfect practice makes perfect result" is one of the best quotes that confirms we need to work hard to fine tune our capabilities.

As such, giving reflection if children use calculators to count number in the mathematic lesson will give a bad habit, because they cannot improve their brain, for instance.

As such, performing arithmetic using our own brain would enhance our skills in dealing with the properties and manipulation of numbers faster and accurate. If we use a calculator for this purpose, the brain would not get the opportunity to do such exercises and thereby weaken the arithmetic capabilities of students.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2: Electronic calculators should not be allowed in school