Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 5

ENG102 research about integrated

chastinarivera 1 / 3  
ENG102: Research Paper Guidelines
Your research paper should be 8-10 pages, double-spaced, and formatted in MLA style. It should include a cover page and a Works Cited page, which are not counted as part of the length requirements.

Chastina Rivera Rivera, 1
Professor Ross
Eng 102
June 9, 2012

Children with disabilities are often viewed as something that can hold an ordinary child back. There has been many studies that have asked average, and high achieving children how they view the children with disabilities, although the results have shown that typical children are uncomfortable with the situation there have been studies that have observed the interaction between students with disabilities and those who are considered typical. These studies have founded the benefits of an integrated environment. It is beneficial for both children with and with out disabilities alike to be taught in the same classroom environment.

There are many benefits to having typical children and children who have challenges in the same educational environment. There are studies that have evaluated the situation and proved it to be beneficial. Tow groups of children were observed interacting with each other. The observer claims that the following benefits do occur. "A challenging environment can be created by an integrated setting." Independence can be learning through imitation. By imitation Students with disabilities can learn age appropriate social skills. By watching students around them they can learn how to behave in a classroom setting. "Friendships are developed by being in the same classroom. Children with disabilities form a positive self image by developing those friendships." (Raschke, 2). Friendships are an important part of growing up and maturing. This is all brought about by having the same opportunities as other children.

Rivera, 2

Students with disabilities benefit greatly from being in the same class room as children who are considered typical. By being able to be in the same classroom as typical children students with disabilities develop a sense of belonging, and being a member of society. (Raschke, 3). Inclusion provides a diverse simulating environment to allow students with disabilities to grow and learn. (Raschke, 3). Exposure to a diverse environment is important to their growth. Not only does it give them an opportunity to develop relationships it also provides them a chance to form a sense of their own identity. (Raschke, 3)Inclusion allows the students to be taught in the same classroom but it also gives the students to be taught by the same age peers, which shows them how to act in a certain setting.

Average achieving students benefit from an integrated class room also. They gain a better understanding and acceptance, as well as an increased progress in social cognition.( Raschke, 3) Average children experience an increase in self esteem an the way they view themselves is improved ( Raschke, 3). A sense of empowerment is developed, and the student feels that they have the ability to make a difference. (Raschke, 3). Being a part of inclusive classroom average students can "develop respect for others with diverse characteristics and sensitivity toward others' limitations." (Raschke, 3). They also gain an "appreciation that everyone has unique characteristics and abilities." (Raschke, 3)

Carol Cummings writes how Sylvia Dietrich, assistant professor of Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education at Western Kentucky University, observed a preschool classroom where she saw two groups of children interacting

Rivera, 3

with each other. One child was disabled and the other was considered typical. Her observations have shown that early introduction can make the transition easier. The two groups of children showed no difficulty or objection in interaction with one another. Both groups initiated interaction. (Cummings, 9). This goes to show that younger children can benefit sooner by being integrated in the class room. Cumming discusses that younger children with disabilities can interact with typically developing children. (Cummings, 9). The sooner the children are introduced to children who are different, the more time they have to practice their social skills as well as to enhance their language skills. (Cummings, 9). By integrating classrooms sooner, younger kids with out a disability have the opportunity to develop an understanding, compassion, acceptance, and respect for people who are different than they are. No matter how difficulty and scary it may be there many factors that can cause integration to be hard.

There are several factors that influence integration; and not always positively. Physical appearances are very apparent. The type of handicap and
physical appearance can affect the way children interact with each other. However scary it may be the differences give the children an opportunity to get adjusted to the idea that everyone is different but does not make the other children better or less them. Expression is important in education, already and it can affect the way a child interacts with peers. It a student is lacking levels of language skills; it can inhibit communication and interaction." (Raschke, 4) Attitude is everything. Not just for students. Teachers need to stays unbiased and approach the situation with an open mind. If the teacher has a negative attitude towards teaching children with special needs, then the rest of the students will

Rivera, 4
pick up on it. If the teacher stays unbiased; and keeps a positive attitude the students will feel more comfortable and included. The students with out disabilities will feel more at ease and not left behind.

There are other factors that can make the transition harder, such as if a child had never heard the words "handicapped" or "disabled", the introduction can be scary for the child. If the students do not have the knowledge then they can not understand. The knowledge needs to be there in order for them to understand the characteristics. The best way to introduce them to new ideas is through an integrated classroom. Not only will it expose them to new ideas; it will give them the tools on how to respond appriately to them. The last factor that can make inclusion difficult is a plan. Having a plan is important. If there is no plan then the teachers, and faculty are going in the situation blind; which can cause chaos. If there is a plan in place the teacher will feel more in control and at ease because they have a guide. By having a guide they can benefit from the experience.

Students are not the only ones that benefit for inclusion, teachers do too. Through integration teachers can expand and refine their expertise. "Integration gives teachers the opportunity to appreciate the diversity human life has to offer." (Raschke, 2). Not only does it allow them to appreciate the diversity but how to really respond to it. It also allows them to realize the importance of individualized instruction as well as the strength each student has. (Raschke, 2). An integrated setting gives teachers the chance to address challenges with increased creativity.

Rivera, 5

(Raschke, 2) integrated classrooms are challenging but it allows the teachers to get creative in how they handle it. That can teach collaborative problem solving skills. (Raschke, 2) this gives teachers the opportunity to work together with other teachers, and students to solve a problem. In which different way of perceiving challenges are acquired as a result of a multidisciplinary team. (Raschke, 2) teacher can become better teachers, with integration.

There have been many studies surveying average children on their thought of being a part of an integrated classroom. Most children did not respond positively. Average children stated that they would not want to work with a student who had a disability on a school project. (Siperstain, 370). By giving them the chance, even if they do not want it, can allow them to change their perspective. The experience will broaden their interaction with people. The children who were interviewed said that they were afraid that they would not be challenged enough in the classroom, (Siperstein, 370). However, if given the opportunity they may come to find that there are alternate ways to learn, in which might work better for them. They also stated

they would not want to socialize with a kid who had a disability out side of the classroom. Once they are able to see that children with disabilities are not much different then they are; they might be willing to befriend them which can boost their self esteem. The students are wear y about the situation at hand. However, they can

become better students and better people by being a part of an integrated classroom.
The benefits are endless. There is no reason top keep students with and with out disabilities from being taught in the same classroom. There are many benefits to

Rivera, 6
having an integrated education. Everyone who is involved benefits from the experience. Teachers learn new ways to teach in a diverse environment, students of both group learn to have an open mind and see that difference can be a beautiful thing. Students also learn how to respond to those differences. Yes, there are risks but the benefits of far greater then the risk. There is no telling the possibilities that are out there if you don't try.
We don't write the essays for you, you have to write it first, then send it here for an edit.
OP chastinarivera 1 / 3  
I forgot to upload it. Thanks, I will do that now
Please follow the directions in my first thread.
Thanks,
dberryhill 1 / 1  
i have read your essay and i think you have followed all the directions as well as i can see! This is a great essay!
viviana15077 7 / 21  
In overall, the essay is perfect. But, I managed to spot some minor errors:
1) Tow groups of children were observed interacting with each other. ( I suppose you mean two)
2)By imitation, students with disabilities can learn age appropriate social skills; by watching, students around them can learn how to behave in a classroom setting.

3)with out should be without.

Home / Research Papers / ENG102 research about integrated