IELTS essay Task 2. English as a global language. Advantages overweight the disadvantages? 250words

cuban27 4 / 9 2  
The advantages of English spreading as a global language will continue overweight the disadvantages. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

the global communication tool

Nowadays, learning English is one of the most popular practices among Young people. Some people hold the opinion that English should be the language every people must speak. With the fast increase of this language use in the world, seems obvious that its benefits overweight the drawbacks. From my perspective, this idea is not completely accurate owing to the consequences this could have for society.

On the positive side, the implement of English as the global language for fields such as business, university studies, research, and science has improved the communication and exchange of information. Scientists from all over the world are publishing their studies and papers in English and thus their research are reaching most people around the globe. Trade transactions among executives from different lands have been empowered by the Shakespeare language settled as the primary language in this sector.

On the other hand, this positioning of English as the number one peaking language these days has significant consequences for several professions. Foreign language professional for instance French, Spanish, Korean or Chinese teachers will become rare as well as foreign language studies will lose relevance in the future, narrowing the variety of university programs. In addition, diversity among countries will be affected by this one-language trend. Non-English-speaker nations will be forced to switch languages and will lose their identity in language matters.

To conclude, despite the fact that English as a global language is constantly increasing due to the advantages of this tendency, the negative side should not be dismiss. An appropriate balance between both sides could be the proper approach to deal with this phenomenon.
papaver 1 / 2 1  
The structure is good, but I think there are some grammar errors and some inappropriate words like "one-language". You seemed to omit "it " before "seems obviously that...".
ghana raza 2 / 1 1  
I think that you've portrayed the positive side of English very well. However, while discussing the negatives of English I think that it should have been mentioned here that the increasing demand of English in education and other fields, for instance, business and trade, is creating complex among non-English speakers. The non-English speakers, due to this complex, consider themselves inferior infront of those who speak English fluently. This inferiority creates an imbalance among the societies, especially among underdeveloped societies. This overall halts human progress and encourages discrimination on the basis of language. Overall the essay is good.
OP cuban27 4 / 9 2  
@ghana raza
Thanks! I really appreciate it, and it was what you just said what I was aiming to expose but the timing was against me in this one so I couldn't write exactly was I was aiming to. And as I am a Spanish speaker I know how is to feel inferior due to languages. thanks again I will try better next time!
Dariela, you totally misunderstood the prompt requirement. This is an "emotional" essay response. Note the existence of the word "extent" in the discussion instruction line. That means you must agree or disagree with the essay using any of the following "emotional" connotations: strongly, partially, totally, and any other variation thereof that signifies a measurement of agreement/disagreement. Your opening prompt is also an immediate discussion of the prompt, which, as you should know by now, is not allowed because the opening statement is always used to deliver an example of how well you understood the prompt and its requirements. Therefore, the correct prompt is:

There is a discussion regarding the proliferation of English as an international form of speech. Worldwide, people believe that English will continue to grow in importance. This is going to continue to prove that its advantages will constantly negate its disadvantages. I partially disagree with this statement due to several reasons.

Please take note of how my version is more aligned with the original prompt statement when compared to yours. Rather than speaking of the spread of the English language per se, you are discussing the language in a spoken form, spreading across the world. That is not the implication of the original prompt so you should not have slanted your opening statement in that manner.

Your concluding statement is part of the personal opinion discussion. You continue to discuss the prompt in that paragraph so you should have not led in with "To conclude". A conclusion never presents additional discussion points and reasons. It merely wraps up the essay. Your essay has 2 problem points as of now that I tried my best to point out to you and explain how to resolve it. Hopefully, you can apply the corrections to your next practice test. I am eager to read it.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS essay Task 2. English as a global language. Advantages overweight the disadvantages? 250words