My English reading (English as a second language)

liqiaoer 1 / -  

I enjoy reading in English

When I was a child, I believe that reading in English would always be a challenge for me. Because at that time, my English teacher used to ask us to finish some English readings which half of the words in the article I had to check the dictionary. Thus, my resistance to reading in English has always been through my growth. However, after I came to America, the environment pushed me to read all kinds of English articles, as the time went by, the fear of reading in English is gradually thawed like the melting of icebergs, my resistance to reading in English gradually disappeared. Because I have learned that the process of English reading will be extremely enjoyable, if I have a good foundation of reading English. Additionally, I found that I'm sharing the same feelings and experiences with the writers of the stories " Waiting in Line at the drugstore" and "My English".

Every time I encounter some troublesome things, reading English books can make me forget the trifles in my life. Once I experienced discrimination in a restaurant, and I felt the "badness" that I have never had in my own country before. When I was back home, I opened my Kindle and continued to read Death in Venice, which is a book I bought one year ago. I only read several pages after I bought it because of my poor English. But this time, I immersed myself in a wonderful world subconsciously, enjoying the progress of the visional relationship between the angel boy and Gustav von Aschenbach. At that moment, I recall the similar feeling to James Thomas Jackson who forgot the "badness" when he was reading. He mentions, "All the way back, I felt different from before, something was happening to me, and I did jam quite know what make of it. Somehow I didn't feel the "badness" that I usually felt when I return the drugstore." (18) Jackson used to feel bad when he was waiting in line due to the existence of discrimination phenomenon in the drugstore. But as his English reading skills improved, he can immerse into the stories, so he gradually forgot the troubles of the outside world. When I occurred the discrimination, my experience was as same as Jackson, because when I was reading English book, I will not only feel a sense of achievement but also find reading is a magic that allows me to escape from turbulent reality and temporarily and enter a beautiful world. I can forget all the annoying things when I open the book and find I have the ability to step into the book's world.

Reading English books make me be accustomed to the life in the united states and fall in love with English. When I first step in the mainland of America, what made me most uncomfortable is that the familiar Chinese characters disappeared in a flash and replaced by English letters. An inexplicable fear occupied my body, and it made me feel hard to adapt to American life. But after I read more and more English books, I fall in love with reading English books, and this kind of fear also diminished. I became more and more integrated into the regular day in the united states. Since Julia Alvarez came to America, she always felt it was hard to become a part of this land of English, until she "had her first lucky line of great English teachers" who made her love English. In the same way, when Julia Alvarez ultimately concluded that " I was no longer a foreigner with no ground to stand on. I had landed in the English language." (34) I have the same feeling with her(Julia Alvarez) because the enthusiasm of English help me gain a sense of belonging in the united states. As for me reading English books is the motivation that made me fall in with English. As for Julia Alvarez, it must be her teacher. Subsequently, reading is the best teacher for me to be keen on English, and to be accustomed to the life in the united states

Reading in English can make me feel more fulfilled in my life. Although every day is 24 hours, I'll fell faster if I spend my day reading in English. Maybe I only need several hours to finish reading a Chinese book, thus I found that time passed very slowly. But when I read English books, what strange is I absolutely don't feel this way. The main reason is that English is my second language, so it is more difficult for me to read English books than Chinese. As James Thomas Jackson wrote " I must have read every worthwhile book on that "Leading Library" shelf. But during this period, something strange happened: my waiting time got shorter and shorter each morning."(18) I can understand this feeling because I spent the whole weekend reading Evelyn Waugh when I was in high school. After I finished the last chapter, I started to relive the rich spiritual food that this book brings to me and review the new words that I noted when I was reading. Suddenly, I found the weekend almost ended, I even didn't realize that two days had already passed. because while reading English books, we are also learning another language and learning about another culture. This is the reason why you may fell every minute and every second is faster than the original. Correspondingly, it's easy to understand why reading in English can fulfill your life.

In general, with the continuous improvement in reading levels after I came to the United States, I finally started to feel like I can enjoy reading in English, also can be as intoxicated in English literature as others. I am also very happy that After I read these two stories: " Waiting in Line at the drugstore" and "My English", I can find that my experience can have so many links with the authors. My similar experiences with these authors all made me become more and more convinced that reading in English not only allows me to get a shelter when life is in trouble but also makes me love this language. Most importantly, when reading an English book, you will learn more than reading a native language book, although you may need to spend more time and energy to do the annotations and understand the contents of the book. But you will find that this is a thing worth doing, this is a thing that can enrich your life.
@liqiaoer This would have been a more profound essay on your part if you could have just remembered to use the right tense usage in the presentation. This essay must always use the past tense of the presentation discussion because these all occurred long ago, in the distant past. Hence the need to indicate the time frame as not being in the present. You seem to have improved your English reading capacity as of this time, however your writing talents leave a lot to be desired.

That said, it is important that I let you know that your message comes across clearly even though your presentation has severe grammatical issues. It would be in your best interest to have this paper professionally proofread, perhaps through our SERVICES so that the errors and somewhat error filled parts of the presentation can be better presented, developed, and discussed in your paper.

Overall, this is a good attempt at writing an essay based on the given topic. You may want to consider better developing your presentations explaining the quotes from the book. Your personal insights are either shallow or lacking in analysis most of the time. In order to get a better grade, you need to first develop a better discussion presentation for the topic provided. You did a pretty good job of representing your English writing skills though. It is clear in terms of presentation but lacking in grammatical and sentence structure efficiency. Try to concentrate on those weak points in order to get a better review next time. I look forward to reading your next practice essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / My English reading (English as a second language)