ENGLISH - VIETNAMESE BACON!

buiminhese 4 / 6 1  

integration of languages

Dear All,

Kindly help me check this short essay. Thank you very much.

Language is a bio-language, it also evolves and perishes. It does not stand still. When the the world integrates, language also integrates. In the past, when I was 18-20 years old, seeing someone speaking Vietnamese mixed with some English words, I thought he or she was so bossy. But then when I grew up a bit, sometimes spoke Vietnamese with some English words; I understand better why and sympathize more for those "bossy" people.

Every day, we also speak with half Vietnamese and half English a lot, for example:

-Mày đi photo giúp tao
-Em đừng copy bài của bạn khác
-Mày gửi email cho tao chưa?
-Quần jeans gì mà xấu thế...
-Mày share bài quái quỷ gì lên facebook đấy?
-...

Words like "photo", "copy", "email", "jeans", "share" ... are being used so commonly that they will soon become part of Vietnamese.

Strong integrating places like Ho Chi Minh City, foreign companies in Vietnam, international schools in Vietnam ... use Vietnamese mixed with English very commonly. As in Singapore, strong integration in cultures, religions, races, economies... lead to the so-called "Singlish" (Singaporean English). Singapore use English as the official language, Malay as the mother tongue, and in Singapore, Chinese account for 70% of Singapore's population. So the language in Singapore is a mix of English, Chinese and Malay. For example, a very common conversation sentence in my previous company is often like this: "There is a good restaurant downstairs, you die die must try. Let's makan there lor! "(There is a very good restaurant downstairs, you must try it. Let's eat there!).

In short, I do not promote speaking Vietnamese mixed with English, especially in serious TV shows, but I look at this issue in a friendly and soft way, and I think that integration in language is inevitable.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@buiminhese
Hello there. I'll try my best to provide you with writing feedback.

If you can separate a particular sentence into two lines, opt to do so as this will help you simplify your language. Simplifying means that you would be able to make concise and create firmer clauses that are easier to digest. Take note of this for your first paragraph.

While I think that the Singapore model is excellent for this written work, the conclusion needs more work. Why do you think mixing English does not contribute positively to these serious situation? What can you recommend then instead?

Best of luck.

Home / Writing Feedback / ENGLISH - VIETNAMESE BACON!