'An Equal Distribution for a Better World' - the rogerian style argument

mabedico 1 / -  
My assigment has to be in the Rogerian Style argument. This is very hard to understand and write about. When i showed my paper to my proffessor he told me that it look more like a reasearch paper. Can you guys please help me make my essay into a Regerian essay.

Please, excuse my grammar! My English writing is not so good.

An Equal Distribution for a Better World

Within the last decade the world's population has reach the 6.7 billion. This means that the need for resources of food and usable land will make a drastic increase in order to feed the population. As of today, earth alone can provide its population with "at least 2,720 kilocalories (kcal) per day per person." That is 220 more kilocalories an active male is required to ingest a day, and 720 more kilocalories per day a female is required to consume ("Hunger notes"). By looking at those numbers, one can conclude that everyone in the world should have enough food to feed themselves and their families. However, as of 2010, over 900 million people suffered from starvation; even though agriculturally we can produce "seventeen percent more calories per person today than we did thirty years ago, despite a seventy percent population increase" ("Hunger notes"). The origins for world starvation are the causes of an unequal distribution of product goods, the shortage of land for cultivating crops, and the absentee of an income to purchase expensive food supplies such as rice, wheat, and sugars ("Hunger notes"). For instance industrialized countries, such as the United States and Europe have acquired more goods because they have a higher economic, military, and political power than other undeveloped countries ("Food and Agriculture Organization"). This means that these many countries alone receive more than fifty percent of the products made agriculturally and manufacture in the world. Yet, these industrialized countries account for most of the waste production in the world due to over purchasing and later on discarding their unused and unwanted foodstuffs. Both the United States and European countries produce about "95 to 115 Kg. a year" of waste products, while consumers in "the sub-Saharan Africa and South and Southeast Asia each throw away only 6 to11 kg. a year" ("Food and Agriculture Organization"). For example, the United State has an estimate of throwing away a monetary amount of $40 billion on food products each year. That means that on average, a household in North America throw-out about 14 percent of the food that they did not need or want ("Hunger notes").

The lack of economy in many third world countries sets the stage for the spread of malnutrition and other related diseases due to the lack of the required food intake depending on a person's age, weight and gender related. On the other hand, people who can afford the purchase of agricultural and manufacture nutriments often eat more than it is required based on their gender, weight and age. Because there is such an excess of food in North America, many people have over indulged themselves causing one-third of the adult population to become obese ("Overweight and obesity"). According to the Stanford hospital and clinics, it is estimated that obesity causes 300,000 premature deaths a year. By definition obesity is due to a person having more than twenty percent excess body fat than the ideal body weight for someone of their height. In other words, the increase of excess body fat is due to a person consuming too much food and exercising too little. Often, the excess of body index is due to the consumption of already prepared foods high in calories and fats that restaurants provide. Some other factors include age, gender, genetics, and environmental factors (Nazario). Statistics show that men and women over age forty find it difficult to lose weight. The main reason is because their metabolic process, the way the body breaks down food and transports energy, slows down causing a person gained weight faster. Compare to man, women have a higher tendency to become overweight because they lack a metabolic system that burns calories at rest (Nazario).

Many studies have shown that the health effects associated with obesity include diabetes, heart disease, and in many overweight women a variety of cancers. An obese person is at risk of type two diabetes. With this a person becomes insulin resistant causing an increase in their blood sugar (Rubin). Overweight men and women are about ten times more likely to get a heart disease called Atherosclerosis, than a person whom has maintained a healthy body weight. This disease causes fatty deposits to build up in the arteries reducing blood flow to the heart. Eventually, this can cause overweight people to have chest pains and sometimes it leads to a stroke (Rubin). Obese women are in danger for a variety of cancers. Some include breast cancer, colon cancer, gallbladder cancer, and uterus cancer (Rubin).

The main causes for malnourishment and overnutrition in the world today, are due to the unequal distribution of wealth among the countries, and due to the 25 million tons of agricultural and manufacture products discarded each year. An overweight population is often related to the countries higher political and economic status. More often, populations of industrialized countries will have higher risks of obesity, while inhabitants of developing countries suffered from malnutrition. Nevertheless the people, who do not suffer from major starvation or poverty, are the ones that manufacture most of the waste in the landfills. The production of waste affects the world's usable land for the production of more food products. Furthermore, citizens from these industrialized countries hold a higher percentage of obesity than other countries. The main reason being the overabundance of products they can afford to buy and eat every day. On the other hand, there are many people from third world countries that suffer from malnutrition. This is due to their lack of resources and poor governmental affairs ("Hunger notes"). Children are the most affected by this problem. About one third of childhood deaths are due to the absence of food ("Unicef"). In order to stop the problems of malnourishment, obesity, and wasted products, the citizens of world should agree in creating a world of government, or organization that its primary concern is to distribute food equally among all nations by working in conjunction with farmers, food industries, and manufactures. This one world government would be able to distribute an equal amount of food to the many citizens of different countries based on their weight, age, and gender. By doing this, everyone in the world would get their recommended nutritional value, thus no one would undergo starvation or obesity. To execute the equal division of food, the new government would give citizens a nutritional allowance card, NAC. This card will contain the amount of calories a person can ingest a month depending on their weight, age, and gender. As an advantage of having a one world government supervised the distribution of cultivated goods, people would produce less waste. Hence, there would be more usable land for the production of more crops.

A country government's power decides whether their inhabitants are physically and nutritionally healthy or unhealthy. It is because of the government that many people around the world are suffering today. It is also true that many people benefit from their government. Because of this problem, the position of this proposal is not about giving the countries' government power over what their citizens should eat. Instead, it is about creating a one world government, where their only duty would be to provide equal proportions of food among the people of the world. The world government would not interfere in the countries own affairs of what political, economic or theological views they belief. By giving this world government autonomy to decide how much food a country may consume, the problems of malnourishment and overweight would end. Also, this position differs from those who might say that it is unfair to starve the people who can afford to provide for their family. The position is that government should put a limit that slightly exceeds what a person can intake without becoming obese. Not to tell people that they cannot ever experience a full stomach. But in order to prevent unhealthy problem, there should be a limit or an increase of nutrients a person can intake depending on their weight, gender and age. This position also differs from those who believe that the government shouldn't have a choice in the matter of what they may or may not eat. This simply states that the government should put a limitation on the amount of food a person can buy, not that they should have a choice in what that person decides to buy. By issuing an individual with a nutrition allowance card, they can buy their favorite foods according to their weight, age, and gender. The government would not interfere on their choices; the government would only make sure they are eating the proportion required for that person to prevent unhealthy habits.

The idea of establishing a world government should be accepted because they would provide equal distribution of foods among countries for the sole purpose of eradicating obesity and starvation. While the farming population can produce more than enough grains, rice and legumes to nourish the world's population, there are still some countries that do not obtain enough food to support their inhabitants. The unequal distribution of food products is due to some countries lacking a well-established government. This is not fair for those who live under this type of governments because they are forced to live with an empty stomach most of their lives, if they even get one to live. On the other hand, those who receive more than enough required intake of food a day, thoughtlessly throw their food away regardless of the 900 million people starving in the world. Moreover, those who indulged in more than enough food at the dinner table suffered from various diseases brought on by their overweight. Obesity is one of the the major causes of premature deaths in the United States. Many people suffer and die every day from different heart diseases, cancer, or type two diabetes because they are over feeding themselves and not taking good enough care of their bodies. Therefore, in order decrease the world population suffering from diseases brought by obesity or malnutrition, a one world government should be appointed. This government will not interfere with a country's beliefs; instead, their only goal would be the distribution of equal proportions of food among the people according to their appropriate age, gender, and weight. By providing each person with a nutritional allowance card, they would be able to pick the foods they like based on their gender, weight and age. The main purpose for this world government would be the eradication of obesity, malnutrition and the waste production of crops.
tipi 5 / 12  
Your essay seems quite plausible and I am not convinced at all though I am not from developed countries. your concept of single world government can hardly exists. Firstly it will be more centralized and more complicated to administer and regulate, secondly what do you say the Mississippi state people are still in poverty and lack their daily food. In India though there are millionaire and rich country but more than 50 percent people have suffered from hand mouth problem and what about the dictatorial north Korean government is asking for food help besides its expensive nuclear program why not the north Korean government spend money for to feed people. If still the wold government be like that of those countries. you mean to say such Utopian government as that of past USSR and so on. seems discombobulating Rogerian.

On the other hand, there are many people from third world countries that suffer from malnutrition. This is due to their lack of resources and poor governmental affairs ("Hunger notes"). change the para on above clause.

To execute the equal division of food, the new government would give citizens a nutritional allowance card, NAC
normally sentence do no t start in this preposition.

A country government's power decides whether their inhabitants are physically and nutritionally healthy or unhealthy
jumbled

This position also differs from those who believe that the government shouldn't have a choice in the matter of what they may or may not eat

tense either present or simple future
On the other hand, those who receive more than enough required intake of food a day, thoughtlessly throw their food away regardless of the 900 million people starving in the world. Moreover, those who indulged in more than enough food at the dinner table suffered from various diseases brought on by their overweight. overwhelming the meaning

This government will not interfere with a country's beliefs; instead, their only goal would be the distribution of equal proportions of food among the people according to their appropriate age, gender, and weight. tense ?
chalumeau /  
Here are your main points:

1) "The main causes for malnourishment and undernutrition in the world today: unequal distribution of wealth among the countries and 25 million tons of agricultural and manufacture products discarded each year."

2) "The idea of establishing a world government should be accepted, because it would provide equal distribution of food and assist in the eradication of obesity and starvation."

I feel that the second point requires a paper of thousands of pages. A world government would be a huge step forward. How many arguments against a world government are there? Try to be more specific about the government you imagine. Or, do you think an international code of agricultural business practices would suffice?

grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/Rogerianargumentterm.htm
This website describes the organization of a Rogerian style argument.

1) Introduction. Make your problem more personal. Describe someone who suffers from starvation. Or, use interviews. Make the transition from one person to entire countries. You have to include your thesis or your position here.

2) "Fair Statement of the Opposing Position." You didn't really do this part.

3) "Statement of Contexts in Which That Position May Be Valid." Still the opposing view. You didn't really do this part either.

4) "Fair Statement of Your Own Position." Condense this part down to one or two paragraphs.

5) "Statement of Contexts in Which Your Position Is Valid."

6) "Statement of How Readers Would Benefit by Adopting at Least Elements of Your Position. Here you are appealing to your readers' self-interest, at least in the broader, long-term sense. You are trying to transform your position from a threat to a promise."

The whole point of a Rogerian style argument is to address concerns with your argument before the reader looks at your side. I think this style works best for someone who has political power and is trying to obtain buy-in on an issue not favored by his constituents. It makes the argument seem passive at first. Your argument is too broad for a small paper. Try to narrow down the argument. Also, try to eliminate many of the facts you cram into the paragraphs. It's the reason your prof told you it looked like a research paper. It's supposed to be an idea paper, so you need to come up with many more ideas. I'll correct the grammar after you change the paper.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'An Equal Distribution for a Better World' - the rogerian style argument