IELTS - Equal numbers of boys and girls in every course of an university?

hyperephania 10 / 27  
Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

girls and boys should be treated equally during education

It is true to argue that girls and boys should be treated equally in every fields of life. However, I totally disagree with the opinion that there should be equal entries to every course offered by a university to the two genders.

On the one hand, I believe that a university accepting the same number of boys and girls to every subject is an ideal place for students to study. This is an effective way of minimizing the gender gaps and showing overwhelming dominance in neither of the genders in the academic fields. Apparently, it is absurd to reject a female student with the highest placement to a course and replace her with a boy with a lower entrance score or less qualifications. By taking part in any courses that they are interested in, students will surely have more chances to pursue their dreams, even in specialist fields that the society has long believed that only men or women could do.

On the other hand, I also believe that it is impractical for schools to accept the same number of male and female students to some specific courses. For example, it is wildly unreasonable to expect the nursing course, which attract girls more than boys, to have half of its students male, and vice versa in the astronomy and engineering courses. In addition, if an university happened to be forced to lower its entrance score to hire enough students for a course, it reputation might be badly damaged and its teaching programs would be dramatically changed, which directly affect the way our whole teaching system has been working for centuries.

In conclusion, although the opinion of allowing the same number of boys and girls to take part in every subject seems to be ideal, it is so unrealistic and unlikely to be taken into consideration by universities in the near future.

I know that my writing is too long (311 words) but I have no ideas which part to cut.
Also, I really appreciate your comments on what my essay lacks in and what I can do to improve.
rubychautran 10 / 27 7  
If you claim to TOTALLY disagree with the statement then you should not include any argument supporting it at all. It goes against your point and is likely to give you a low score. Your ideas are fine, so change your claim in the introduction to "partly agree" and it'll be alright.
natashaebab 3 / 9 1  
Hello! If you are totally disagree with your statement. You should include reasons why you disagree in your introduction ,at least 2 reasons. This will give the examiner an idea about your essay. Then,discuss your first reason in 1st body paragrah and second reason in your 2nd body paragraph. Make sure to explain each reason and give examples. You already have good grammar and vocabulary. I hope this would help you.
@hyperephania when you are writing an extent essay, it becomes easier to write your response when you only have to defend one side of the given discussion. When you try to write about supporting both sides, you end up not really knowing what to write and even worse, you end up writing more than the number of words suitable for editing within the given time limitations.

It is precisely because of this reason that I always advise my students to really just choose one side to defend using a "total" agreement / disagreement scenario. As a writer, it becomes easier for you to brainstorm and draft your response when you need to focus on only one discussion and its supporting reasons. That way your 3 body paragraph becomes clearer and more cohesive in content. The 3 body paragraph can be set up as :

1. Reason 1 public opinion in support of your stance
2. Reason 2 personal explanation in support of your opinion
3. Example that portrays a strong supporting reason for your agreement / disagreement

Do not try to provide examples in every paragraph. One solid example as a stand alone paragraph will not only help you meet the word count, but also allow you to better develop your explanations in the first 2 paragraphs.
feliciatu 4 / 5  
@hyperephania Good essay!

I found some grammar mistakes.
ex: to have half of its students male. I might write ---> which attract girls more than boys, to have half of male students.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS - Equal numbers of boys and girls in every course of an university?