IELTS ESSAY_should children be taught to be co-operative or competitive?

princedynasty 15 / 57 4  
Some people think that a sense of competition should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to co-operate rather than compete become more useful adults. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

My essay:

Children need appropriate education to gain necessary qualifications for their future career. Some people advocate that they ought to be taught to become competitive, while others claim that they should learn how to unite with other people. This essay will reflect upon these two arguments.

Indeed, a sense of competitiveness is essential, especially for children to better personal performance. If children are soon taught to be competitive, they might as well be familiar with stiff rivalries and have a rational perspective. More importantly, competitiveness proves to be a motive to encourage children's efforts in order to be recognized, in other words, be noticeable. Thus, schools often stick examination results on the bulletin afterwards. Some students achieving top marks may feel proud of themselves, meanwhile, students who gained satisfactory grades will make greater attempts to keep up with their more brilliant classmates. In short, one of the effective ways to stimulate children's initiative is training their competitiveness.

However, co-operation is an indispensible facilitator for group work, which is demanding concurrently. Children often have to participate in a number of group activities and when they grow up, they will accomplish many tasks with their colleagues. Inherently, a large amount of work divided into sections to suit specialized knowledge of each person will make it much simpler to complete. Therefore, if they lack a co-operative spirit, children will become unhelpful and counter-productive in the long run. Unquestionably, schools are supposed to nurture the co-operation among children to meet the demands from employers.

My view is that both competitiveness and union are required from children. Contrary to popular belief in their conflict, they supplement each other with a view to generating a highly efficient workforce.
Indeed, a sense of competitiveness is essential, especially for children to better their personal performance.

If children are soon taught to be competitive, they might as well be familiar with stiff rivalries and have a rational perspective.

Thus, schools often stick examination results on the bulletin board .afterwards

In short, one of the effective ways to stimulate children's initiative is training them in competitiveness.

Unquestionably, schools are supposed to nurture the co-operation among children to meet the demands of employers.

You made some great points! Good luck with school.

:)
OP princedynasty 15 / 57 4  
Susan, Thank you for your quick reply, which I have never expected. This English forum is really effective with various levels of English writing. Although I'm staying at a basic level, I will try to contribute more and more threads as well as comments for other members.

:D

Here's my essay with some alterations

It goes without saying that children need appropriate education to gain necessary qualifications for their future career. Some people advocate that they ought to be taught to become competitive, while others claim that they should learn how to unite with other people. This essay will reflect upon these two arguments.

Indeed, a sense of competitiveness is essential, especially for children to better their personal performance. If children are taught to be competitive, they might as well be familiar with stiff rivalries and have a rational perspective. More importantly, competitiveness proves to be a motive to encourage children's efforts in order to be recognized, in other words, be noticeable. Thus, schools often stick examination results on the bulletin board. Some students achieving top marks may feel proud of themselves, meanwhile, students who gained satisfactory grades will make greater attempts to keep up with their more brilliant classmates. In short, one of the effective ways to stimulate children's initiative is training them in competitiveness.

However, co-operation is an indispensable facilitator for group work, which is demanding concurrently. Children often have to participate in a number of group activities and when they grow up, they will accomplish many tasks with their colleagues. Inherently, a large amount of work divided into sections to suit specialized knowledge of each person will make it much simpler to complete. Therefore, if they lack a co-operative spirit, children will become unhelpful and counter-productive in the long run. Unquestionably, schools are supposed to nurture the co-operation among children to meet the demands of employers.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS ESSAY_should children be taught to be co-operative or competitive?