Ethic and doing business internationally

MuhammadImho 17 / 12 7  

There are some different cultures for doing business all over the world. For example, the difference between Japanese and American as saying "no". Japanese business executive rarely say "no", they tend to take a long discussion until their colleagues realize that the answer is truly negative. On the other hand, American would say "no" quickly because they think it is more effective.

Another part of ethical differences is about personal distance that means how closed people stand to each other when they talking especially for negotiation. Japanese and Latin American are more likely standing close together to equate their agreement. In contrast, American do not want to be closed when they are talking about business with other people, American tend to back away when Japanese try to be close.

In addition to the differences area of culture in Japan and America is about business cards. Japanese tend to be more careful in exchanging business card than American tend to collect business card first, then they will check again when arrive in the office. While Japanese need about 15 minutes to study and understanding the card, American just spend two or three seconds to look at the card.

Bribery, as one of the differences culture, has various view in some countries. Bribery in the United states is illegal and people who offer or accept bribery are judged as criminal and can be jailed. Another country such as Spain, most of people believe that bribery as part of business even though they know it is illegal. On the other hand, In Germany, bribe have to pay tax from their income. While bribery is illegal in some countries, bribery is necessary extend for dealing business organization especially for connection between personal and government in Russia.

To handle this ethical issues, companies make some alternatives such as a "code of ethics" in order to eliminate confusion that may are or not acceptable in particular organization. Another one, Whistle-blower, a person who tells someone in authority about something illegal, protects employee from discrimination. In addition, employee training, one of the solution of this problem, educate employee about behavior which is acceptable in particular company. Not only those, operate multicultural is very essential to tackle this problem where people think global, act local.
mohjawahir 11 / 17  
Japanese business executive rarely says "no", they tend to take a long discussion until their colleagues realize that the answer is truly negative.

Home / Writing Feedback / Ethic and doing business internationally