TASK 2: Everyone should have a right to the free access to university - do you agree or not?

phamphuonganh 1 / -  
Essay Prompt:
Some people believe that everyone has a right to have access to university education and that governments should make it free for all students no matter what financial background they have.

To what extend do you agree or disagree?

As tuition fees have witnessed an inexorable increase in the past ten years, it is argued that everybody is entitled to attend tertiary education, and that governments should provide free-of-charge education for all students despite their socio-economic background. In my point of view, although this would bring some certain benefits to the underprivileged, abolishing tuition fees would have an adverse bearing on both students and society.

To begin with, the free-college policy would put a positive impact on each individual. Students, for example, especially those who cannot afford higher education, would stand a chance of having a variety of job opportunities, and therefore, have a better life. On top of that, this policy would also bring a lot of benefits to society. When governments cover higher education tuition, all students would have a chance to persue college which would likely lead to a more educated workforce. As a result, their country is expected to delevop with a thriving economy.

That said, waiving tuition could also do students a disservice. As you may know, the labor market has become more and more competitive. Thus, it's hard to guarantee an adequate number of occupations, if there are too many people with college qualifications. Let's take HCM University of Education as an example. Because it wholly subsidizes tertiary education, graduated students have found it extremely challenging to find a job as a teacher in public schools. Another downside is that making university free of charge might put a strain on society. Since covering tuition would reduce welfare and lead to budget deficit, governments would likely consider tax hikes.

To sum up, while the tuition waiver seems to have potential benefits for both students and society, governments should also consider the pressure it would put on the national budget. I personally believe that they should not cover higher education tuition for everyone.
Incorrect discussion format. You failed to respond to the main question which is: To what extent do you agree or disagree? That is based on your opinion of the given statement, not on a personal opinion of a discussion unrelated to the given task.

OT: Some people believe that everyone has a right to have access to university education and that governments should make it free for all students no matter what financial background they have.

YT: As tuition fees have witnessed an inexorable increase in the past ten years...

Note the discrepancy within the 2 topic presentations. There are specific information that should be contained in the rephrasing of the discussion. The information provided should be restated, without the addition of information that cannot be supported by the original statement. The quote above from YT (Your Topic) includes the irrelevant information that will cause the TA score to receive deductions. Do not add personal information in the paraphrase section. Use only the provided data.

You failed to respond to the discussion question as well:

DI: To what extend do you agree or disagree?
R: In my point of view, although this would bring some certain benefits to the underprivileged, abolishing tuition fees would have an adverse bearing on both students and society.

You will fail the Task Accuracy portion immediately due to an unrelated response. This, overall, shall force the failure of your essay presentation. As you never did respond to the question during any point of your discussion.

Reasons for failure:
- Non task compliance
- Incorrect response to the prompt
- Response does not relate to the given topic

Home / Writing Feedback / TASK 2: Everyone should have a right to the free access to university - do you agree or not?