"Not everything that is learned is contained in books" the quote perfectly reflects my point of view

Jnar 1 / -  
Hello guys, this is a toelf writing question and i'd like your opinion about it please :D One more useless thread title = BAN
Question:
It has been said, "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

Although quite different, it is undeniable that both books and experience provide us with rich and solid knowledge. Their importance and role have sparked debate among scholars and scientists. Some would agree that books are the primary way to obtain knowledge, while others consider experience as being more efficient and reliable, which makes picking one option above the other tremendously hard. However, the quote in the question perfectly reflects my point of view on the matter, which I'll elaborate on in this essay.

First of all, humans have long relied on experience to acquire knowledge. Indeed, we have not always had books to provide us with techniques on how to survive, make food or treat an injury. Therefore, experience was the only solution for us to develop those skills. Cooking, hunting or building houses were always taught through experiences. For instance, it was only by rubbing two pieces of wood against each other did we learn how to make fire.

Secondly, experimental knowledge is tangible. Unlike the theoretical knowledge, we obtain through academics, knowledge gained from experience is more practical and beneficial to perform everyday tasks. Personally speaking, I've built my knowledge through books and academic materials I studied in university; therefore, I was totally unfamiliar with the professional life. When I started my first job, I was utterly lost and incapable of coping with the stress that comes with a job. Only then did I realize how useful experience can be.

Moreover, experience is a unique way of acquiring knowledge and learning new things. As the quote states, I firmly believe that books can't cover all aspects of life and therefore experience is much needed to develop special skills. Through trial and mistakes, experience teaches us how to be cautious and avoid certain things. For instance, when a child touches boiling water and realize how painful it is, he is most likely not to repeat that action again, to avoid the pain. We need to touch the teapot to know whether the tea inside is hot or not.

In conclusion, I believe that both books and experience present their own advantages and give us the necessary knowledge in different ways. I favor experimental knowledge over academics for its efficiency, but I also do believe that a combination of both would be the key to solid knowledge.
A TOEFL test does not require a flowery and empty topic restatement. What sets it apart from the IELTS test is that an imemediate discussion should be found in the first paragraph. No restatement, just the personal opinion basis and starling explanation.

There are some rules that apply to both tests though. The writer should avoid the use of contractions in writing as this reflects negatively on his formal wiling skills. While an academic tone and writing style are not formal requirements, keeping in line with those specifications helps the examiner assess how one might perform academically in class.

Using group pronouns in a single person reference setting should be avoided. Avoid speaking for others as they cannot be represented within the writing requirements. Focus on personal evidence usage instead. It shows off comprehension skills in relation to discussion relevance.

Improvements are needed all around in the writing but the essence of the response is clear. Next time though, be sure to address oneself directly in the essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / "Not everything that is learned is contained in books" the quote perfectly reflects my point of view