an essay on - How we evolve

Rajiv 55 / 400  
How would we be when we evolve, when we just move on in life ?

How may we describe ourselves in a state, where we might be happier than we are now?

Would it be something physical. That would be insufficient, since I know for certain I do not experience physically, as much as with my mind. I am likely to feel happier when some difficulties work themselves out, maybe just in the way I understand them, instead of something physically changing.

I recognize this as true for all, and yet we exert to improve our circumstances. We fear we might otherwise be deluding ourselves into accepting what we do not have, so the physical change is a necessary validation of a real change to our lives - whenever it happens. Like becoming rich!

But then it seems true that the physical change follows after a particular change in our way of our thinking. We may say we became rich after we learnt how to.

If we consider the evolution within our mind, the one which precedes any real change in our lives, we see we are often willing to disregard the actual physical change, as a new house and car, and taking up our newly discovered power of acqusition we wish to do more with it and explore it to it's fullest extent.

This acquisition of knowledge seems the real essence of our experiences. Though we express it as some substance, a different understanding of it could be to think of ourselves as intrinsically all-knowing and covered in a layer of ignorance, which is removed through experience and learning.

The difficulty we may have in accepting this paradigm is the statement about our all-knowing self. Because, we think, if something should exist in a space within, we can uncover it by some direct means, and we cannot imagine a more direct method to do this than the present one, of learning.

To try and answer the question, how would we evolve spiritually? What would be the nature of our experience in an evolved state?

It would not be, as darkness all around, a permanent state of lonliness, a suspended state. Instead, we would see more, would be able to see with an unobstructed view, because the seer is within us. The world would be there for us, our perceptions would exceed those we have now.

Lack of true knowledge of things 'is' the cause of our awareness of them. Awareness is the first step leading to an effort to understand, and experience, and finally the knowledge.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I really like this one! I was actually able to follow your chain of thought throughout the whole piece, which I couldn't always do in the previous ones. (That's not necessarily a criticism; sometimes I can't follow Aristotle's line of reasoning, either ;-))

There's not much I can add to this, except to point out, in my compulsive-editor way, the only two tiny errors I see. After having nagged you about leaving apostrophes out of "it's" when it stands for "it is," I must now point out that the possessive form has no apostrophe! :-)) So say "taking up our newly discovered power of acqusition we wish to do more with it and explore it to its fullest extent." I know, it seems strange that the possessive forms of nouns use an apostrophe (the chair's leg; John's book) and the pronoun forms do not (yours, hers, its); but somewhere along the line, that's what happened, so I guess we just have to live with it!

The other one is probably a typo: "loneliness" instead of "lonliness."

I absolutely love this: "think of ourselves as intrinsically all-knowing and covered in a layer of ignorance, which is removed through experience and learning." That's an excellent description of the way we learn over our lifetimes! It reminds me of Maya Angelou's "when I knew better, I did better," but hers is a practical description while yours is an artistic metaphor. :-)

Thanks!

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Rajiv 55 / 400  
made bold by your encouragement, I post another - and this one I dedicate to you...
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
...in cyberspace, no one case see you blush... ;-)) Thank you!!

Sarah

Home / Writing Feedback / an essay on - How we evolve