Before an exam, do you think it is better to prepare for a long time or only for a few days?

tomkienvn 1 / -  
Independent TOEFL Writing

I think it is better to prepare for a long time before an exam because of the three reasons:

Firstly, a long preparation would increase the chance of doing well in the exam. Highly competitive exams require candidates to have a very thorough understanding to get good marks. It is obvious that all knowledge of a course can not be acquired only in a few days. To revise for the exam extensively, candidates need to go through a lengthy process by reviewing lessons, reading books, doing exercises. The more types of exercises or questions they practise, the higher chances they might encounter, as well as doing them well in the exam.

Secondly, the exam formats are often organized to test a wide range of candidates' abilities. Beside the knowledge, they require the candidates to have good skills to do well in the exam. These skills can not be developed only for a few days. The candidates need to sharpen them for a long time. For example: TOEFL consists of four parts to test the candidates' skills of using English in reading, speaking, listening, writing. To get a high score, the candidates who are not using English as their first language can not master their skills in some days. They have to spend many months on learning and training English.

Finally, a long preparation would help us increase our knowledge, which is one of the most important goal of studying. We have enough time to revise completely for the knowledge taught in a course. Certainly, not all of them would appear in the exam but it would be useful in other situations. For example: Preparing for TOEFL would also help improving our command of English after the exam. That would be useful for us to use English in our real-life situations such as: working with foreigners or traveling abroad. So it is certainly worth a try.

For these above reasons, I strongly believe that we should prepare for a long time before an exam. We need to devote much time to having good skills and enough knowledge to pass the exam, as well as increasing our knowledge after the exam. Hard work leads to success as the saying goes.
Firstly FIRST, a long preparation..
- To revise REVIEW for the exam extensively, candidates need to go through a lengthy process by reviewing lessons, reading books, doing exercises. The more types of exercises or questions they practise PRACTICE, the higher chances they might encounter, as well as doing them well in the exam., the higher is their chances to ace the exam.

- Secondly Second, the exam formats are often organized to test a wide range of candidates('-delete punctuation mark) abilities. Beside the knowledge, they require the candidates to have good skills to do well in the exam. These skills can not cannot be developed only for a few days.

Tom, overall your essay is good, just make sure that you mind your sentence construction,I made a few correction, there should be an idea behind your essay that reaches the goal of the readers too. Proof read your essay before submission, it helps a lot as you will understand your essay far more than a writer but as a reader.

Cheers!
EF_Carol - / 145 39  
Finally, a long preparation would help us increase our knowledge, which is one of the most important goal in studying.

CORRECTED: Finally, a long prep would help to increase knowledge, an important goal.

You need to simplify your sentences, by removing uneccessary words. Match the verbs and nouns whether singular, or plural.

For these reasons above, I strongly believe that we should prepare for a long time before an exam.

CORRECTED: For these reasons, we should prepare a long time for an exam.

Shorten your sentences, and eliminate the superfluous. I think you should switch the intro to the last two paragraphs. The last e should say finally, because its the concluding one.

Overall, a good essay but needs polishing. You need to address lengthy sentences and repetitiveness.

e f _ carol

Home / Writing Feedback / Before an exam, do you think it is better to prepare for a long time or only for a few days?