Have you ever experienced culture shock? in Arab world?

Domi 1 / 1  
Hi,
I'm writing an essay about culture shock. I need someone who went through culture shock specifically in Arab world because I'd like to use it as an example.

This is my introduction,

Culture shock

What is culture shock? Have you ever experienced such a thing? What causes culture shock? Culture shock is not actually a real term that refers to a certain thing. It is some confusion that leads to certain feelings. More specifically, culture shock is an overwhelming feelings that a person may have after leaving his\her culture to face a whole different one. When you move to a new place, you are more likely to notice many changes. Sometimes, those changes are exciting. Sometimes, they are overwhelming. In other words, things that are normal in your culture might be weird or inappropriate in the other culture. As an illustration, if someone with western background moves to an Arab country, or vice versa, he would definitely succumb to culture shock, in the following paragraphs I will explain more about culture shock with real-life examples.

Thank you.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
I can imagine that there are some major differences between the two cultures, and it would be shocking to enter one if you have grown up in the other. There is a great contrast between the two. An arab has extremely strong obligations and responsibilities to his family, whereas americans often disregard or abandon their family. Arabs have a much stronger sense of community, and are more trusting and welcoming to neighbors, these qualities mean they are honorable people (not typical in america). Another major difference is that arabic culture defines a persons identity by their religion before anything else. A person's religion is essentially who they are, and in America this is not typically the case. Another thing: Americans are always tightly packed with appointments and kept busy all day, which causes a hectic rushed style of living, and this doesn't happen in arabic culture. They are much more laid-back and go with the flow of life. Find real-life examples by thinking of everyday things we do, and how it would be different in the other culture- eating, clothing, sports, transportation, activities, anything. There are so many things to consider, I hope my ideas help (I am not arabic, but I wanted to give some ideas anyway) Good luck! When you have something written, be sure to post it here for review. :)
OP Domi 1 / 1  
Thank you so much. You have no idea how much I needed these information. I'm an Arab so I can't really imagine what is it like to go through culture shock in Arab world. So yeah thanks again. And I'll make sure to post it here when I'm done :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Have you ever experienced culture shock? in Arab world?