Experiencing a rescue just in time

ceberus /  
Write about an occasion where the rescue team arrives just in time to save lives. Keep the piece between 350-600 words.

After a long, tiring summer of school, I got my vacation in June. I was very relieved, and planned to spend the whole summer resting and being lazy. I was in my home playing video games one day, and some of my friends came over and told me they were going to an amusement park. I wanted to get some fresh air, so I joined with the group and went with them. What was supposed to be a relaxing day by having thrill rides, instead, it turned out to be a total disaster.

We had some rides and got tired so we went to a burger join in the park to get some snacks and cool down a bit, before we hit the rides again. We were halfway through our food, while we heard an announcement on the speaker that the Ferry's Wheel, full of people has stuck in the middle of a ride unexpectedly. The Ferry's Wheel was a very popular thing, mostly for kids and parents, who enjoyed it very much, and this park's was one of the biggest around. We thrill-seekers never really got on it, and are we glad we didn't on that day.

After hearing the news, we quickly paid the bill and carried our burgers and ran to the site. It was utter chaos; friends and family of the people on the ride were absolutely freaked out. Some elders were starting or already started to cry, and was praying stuff. This was a really serious problem, because the park, being an average town park didn't employ a full time mechanic, who could fix the ride and start it back up. That was the worry of most of the people there. A call was already made to the local Fire Department, and they were told about the situation in detail, so they can come prepared. Park management also called a mechanic, but he was too far away to come and fix the ride in time, so this turned out to be a rescue mission.

They were many little kids on the ride, on the upper section, which was the worst place to be if a Ferry's Wheel stuck. Parents sitting by them were having a hard time from stopping their children from panicking. All this drama was unfolding in front of us, and we were starting to regret coming to the park at all, but also the excitement of a rescue about to happen kept us on the edge. The Fire Department arrived pretty just in time, when things were getting pretty tense, and by luck, they brought their Cherry-Picker with them.

The FD Team quickly got it in position, two men climbed aboard, one was at the controls of the lifting machine, and they started raising it up to the top of the wheel. First in line for rescue were the occupants of the top seat. The firemen picked out a child from the carriage, then supposedly his father carefully stepped onto the lifter's platform, and once they were safely back on the ground, people started to relax a bit. It was now just a process of keeping their nerve, and systematically picking everyone out, and getting them safely back to the ground. This took a toll on the 2 firemen, so they changed with 2 other firemen, and they carried on the process. In under an hour, everybody was safely out of the Ferry's Wheel, and back on the ground. The firemen got a huge round of applause from everyone in the park. Everything was back to normal, and the Ferry Wheel was fixed later that day, when the mechanic returned back to town.

Although this was a bad situation, I was more thrilled by experiencing a rescue, live in front of me, than any thrill rides I've had in my life. This was truly an amazing day at the park where we got to witness an amazing rescue unfold. Although I don't want things like these to happen to anyone in the future, this was a major life experience for me.

Be as critical as you can
I wanted to get some fresh air, so I joined with the group and went with them.

What was supposed to be a relaxing day by having thrill rides, instead, it turned out to be a total disaster.

...full of people has stopped in the middle of a ride unexpectedly.

Some elders were starting or had already started to cry, and were praying. stuff.

A call was already made to the local Fire Department, and they were told about the situation in detail, so they could come prepared.

The firemen picked out a child from the carriage, then supposedly his father carefully stepped onto the lifter's platform,....

Hey, this is really interesting and good. Good luck in school!

:)

Home / Writing Feedback / Experiencing a rescue just in time