IELTS writing task 2: ...To what extent do you think consumers influenced by advertisement?...

koawancha 1 / 1  
Thank you for your reading, the full topic is that:

consumers are faced with increasing numbers of advertisement from competing companies

.
To what extent do you think are consumers influenced by advertisements? What measures can be taken to protect them?

In the modern society, it can be observed that almost all things around us are having the advertising elements. Under this situation, consumers are not hardly to be influenced these advertisements especially children since their systems of values have not been developed completely and so the regulation of advertisements is necessary.

The first point to make is that the various forms of advertisement can potentially repeat the similar information and attract us to consume. From the promotion of shops that can immediately let people focusing on, like buy one get one free; to the same advert that played again and again in the YouTube and thus irritating people; it cannot be denied that the advertisements are remembered and customers are being persuaded to spend money even they did not want to purchase in the beginning. This means customers are influenced by the psychological attraction of advertising.

To reduce the effects of advertising, the regulation and censorship to adverts are important. For the tactic aimed at selling products from companies, the best and only way to protect customers from the influence of advertising is the government should build a regulation system to censor the advertisement and give the permission if it can pass the censorship. Based on the regulation, the frequency of advertisement occurrence of the products and services that are not favourable to health should be restricted or even banned, such as fast food that contains high salt, sugar and saturated fat content, or tobacco that can harm to respiratory and nervous system in the body. That can help consumers to stay clearheaded when they are judging for the payment and be more healthy in the modern world.

To conclude, the consumers are facing with advertisements with psychological manipulation, that seems like we cannot keep our brain calm, but that should have a way to protect us to escape the overloaded information.
The original discussion does not make any reference to children in relation to advertisements. There is no need to make specific mention to children when they are not singled out in the original presentation. This creates a slight prompt deviation which, although not marked in effect, will still be noticed as an insertion by the examiner and ignored as a part of the discussion process.

While the writer sticks to the point of his presentation, he has chosen to use a synonym for advertisements that does not really apply to the word. When a person says "advert", he is referring to a verb meant to refer to a remark or comment. Always remember that just because a "slang" version of the word is used in reference to a word, it may not contain the same academic meaning. The word usage will be wrong and reduce the vocabulary score for the written piece.
OP koawancha 1 / 1  
Thank you very much for your opinions!
Actually I was still confusing about the differences of between advertising, advertisement and advert even I looked out the dictionary, and thank you to let me know that the advert is informal one.

I will take more care about the points you mentioned!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS writing task 2: ...To what extent do you think consumers influenced by advertisement?...