To what extent should university courses be geared to the economic needs of society?

Saidakhror 6 / 21  
In some countries, governments mandate to tailor education to society's needs which is sparked much controversy among different social groups. Some holds that academic courses should be available in universities in order to provide students with multisectoral educational foundation. Others contend that a university should offer courses that enable students easily to find jobs upon graduation.

To begin with, much of society is expanding their expectations of the university and the personal human capital value of the university's product wanting the higher education process to concentrate more on transferable workplace skills. For students to survive in this competitive world, universities should consider to offer courses that are in high demand in the society, such as business administration, computer science and foreign language training. Degree programs, such as engineering, communications, commerce, and the arts are useful tools for nation building when courses are geared for such goal. Those enable graduates easily enter the job market where the demand for well-educated person in particular field is higher than in any other sector which helps young professional being ensured work attendance in their major fields after the graduation.

However, in many cases, the vocational program and the academic program reside side-by-side in the same institution. This creates in some people an idea that the pure academics need migrate to the professional model or that one is better than the other. The main concern with that line of thinking is that the entirety of the working class and underprivileged class have misidentified what a university is and what it does - instead, they have attributed to the university the concept of vocational school. But these practical courses should by no means be a substitute for what is the basic research of various fields like physics, mathematics and earth sciences, because the latter is undeniably the base for an economy and academic research to go further. The main privilege of universities is to transfer deep knowledge and furtherance of knowledge-whether of economic advantage or no. Universities should be not so near-sighted as to abandon all the basic courses only for provide instant-needed professionals rather than preparing for a manpower reserve for the sustainable economic development of country.

Finally, I think, that in some sectors of education main emphasis should lie on some practical subjects to ensure universities professionalism of their attendees, however academic subjects should get sufficient attention and be taught in the majority of academic establishments.
In some countries, governments mandate to tailor education to society's needs which has sparked much controversy among different social groups.
Some say that academic courses should...
... when courses are geared for such goal. Those enable graduates easier entry the job market where the demand...
- instead, they have attributed to the university the concept of vocational school. But these practical courses should by no means be considered a substitute for what is the basic research of various fields like physics, mathematics and earth sciences, because (new sentence here>) The latter is undeniably the base for an economy and academic research to go further.

The main privilege of attending university is to gain and enhance knowledge regardless of economics. Universities should be not so near-sighted as to abandon all the basic courses only to breed instant professionals rather than preparing for a manpower reserve for the sustainable economic development of country. There must be a healthy integration of both.Finally, I think, that in some sectors of education, the main emphasis should lie on some practical subjects to ensure universities professionalism of their attendees, however academic subjects should get sufficient attention and be taught in the majority of academic establishments.

This is great. I would revise your closing statement just a bit for strength and clarity.
Good job and good luck!

Home / Writing Feedback / To what extent should university courses be geared to the economic needs of society?