TOEFL-Face-to-face communication is of great importance

basawang 10 / 76  
Please give me some comments. Thanks a lot!

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Face-to-face communication is better than other types of communication, such as letters, e-mail, or telephone calls. Use specific reasons and details to support your answers.

Valid communications are not composed of language only. Other components, such as facial expressions and body gestures also play an important role, which can only be achieved by of face-to-face communication. Letters, e-mail, or telephone calls, although enable people to contact others in a long distance, cannot completely replace the function and meaning of face-to-face communication. In other words, I reckon that face-to-face communication is better than the other types of communication.

Face-to-face communication can provide straightforward expression of information and ideas, thus making meanings more clear and powerful. Human beings are sensitive to the signals from faces and bodies of others. Generally speaking, these signs cannot be perceived through letters, e-mails or telephones, which only consist of words or sounds. Talking to someone directly can obtain many additional messages, such as "Is the listener nervous?" or "Does he or she feel bored?" Speakers can convince others more successful because delivering the thoughts in front of others can further emphasis their point with their body language, and it is also a more formal and effective way to interact with others. This is the reason why world rulers, company managers or other leaders in various fields always have to organize meetings and conferences to meet others and discuss important issues.

Moreover, face-to-face communication furnishes people with a portal to express their sincere emotions. It is difficult to imagine a man proposes to his girlfriend by only making a phone call. Obviously, face-to-face communication can address more passions and feelings to others in contrast to other kinds of method. From this standpoint, letters, e-mail and phones are merely substitutes of face-to-face communication because people always want to contact those they love straightforwardly.

In a nutshell, face-to-face communication exhibits certain characteristics, which cannot be substituted for other types of communication. Although technological advances create other forms of communication, face-to-face communication is still of great importance.
winchesters 3 / 9  
essay structure is good
as i am not a native speaker and also preparing for toefl so i can't sucrutinize this essay. i guess here rae some mistakes.

1.by of face-to-face....
no need of OF....
2.gap between straighforward
expressions(plural form)
3.substitutes of... not of
substitutes to
OP basawang 10 / 76  
winchesters

Thanks for your comment.

As for the third point you made.
I look up in the dictionary.
"Substitute for" is the common usage of this word.
winchesters 3 / 9  
yes u r right...thanks for correction

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL-Face-to-face communication is of great importance