TOEFL - Factory near your community/ Advantages & Distadvantages

faheddarmoch 4 / 5  
A company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your community. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this new influence on your community. Do you support and oppose the factory? Explain your position.

Today, this morning I read an announcement that one of the big Factories is going to be established next to our city in the suburb area. So, I started to think, How could this big factory affect our city positively or negatively?

Starting from the positive points, the first thing came to my mind, establishing a big factory in our community could offer our city population a lot of job opportunity which apparently will decrease the unemployment percentage that my country suffered from; for the recent decade. In addition to solving the unemployment issue, relatively speaking, this factory will contribute and enhance our country economical status and support the income of every individual in my city giving, like the General Motors car manufacturing company in Detroit-Michigan played a very big role in the economic status of that state. So, when this company closed for funding problem the Michigan economical Status has been affected directly and there will a close announcement for Detroit bankruptcy.

On the other hand the disadvantage of having a big factory next to our city, especially if that factory will produce some gases that could be harmful for people's health who live around it. But, that problem could be avoided by studying the location of the factory by specialized people who consider the wind speed, direction and all other harmful aspects that maybe threaten the health of inhabitants who live within a cretin distance .

Finally, I think having a big factory can be advantageous in the cities, which suffer from unemployment and economical problem, if the location and other points were considered appropriately.
So, I started to think, How could this big factory affect our city positively or negatively?

This sentence does not add much value to your introduction. You better present it with more grip. Tell that it has both positive and negative effects. Then dedicate one body para to talk about positives and the other for the negatives.

a lot of job opportunity

a lot of job opportunities

Starting from the positive points, the first thing came to my mind, establishing a big factory in our community could offer our city population a lot of job opportunity which apparently will decrease the unemployment percentage that my country suffered from; for the recent decade.

.... this sentence does not have any grammar problems. However, do not lengthen your sentences too much because you would be carried away at the end may tell irrelevant things. Also, the reader needs to remember lots of details and therefore may become exhausted and lose interest.
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
On the other hand the disadvantage of having a big factory next to our city, especially if that factory will produce some gases that could be harmful for people's health who live around it.

... I don't find a connection between your first and the second part of this sentence;
On the other hand, the main disadvantage of having a big factory near our town is that it may produce gases that could bring harmful effects to our health.

Finally, I believe that advantages of having a big factory in the neighborhood may outweigh disadvantages. It may reduce unemployment level which is now a burning issue in our town.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL - Factory near your community/ Advantages & Distadvantages