Feedback on the "Sound and the Fury" Passage analysis

jvmoose 1 / 2  
I've been writing horrible essays since I've started...writing essay's. I don't seem to ideas flowing correctly. I've Recently found this site and it seems quite helpful to many, i hope it does well to me too. So here I go *Crossing fingers!

I wrote an analysis on a passage that is pretty well known in the novel. I hope you can give me some suggestions, thanks!

"He sho a preacher, mon! He didn't look like much at first, but hush!" "He seed the power and de glory." "Yes suh. He seed hit. Face to face he seed hit."

Dilsey made no sound, her face did not quiver as the tears took their sunken and devious courses, walking with her head up, making no effort to dry them even. "Why won't you quit dat, mammy?" Fonry said. "Wid all dese people lookin. We be passin white folks soon." "I've seed the first en de last," Dilsey said. "Never you mind me" "First en last whut" Frony said. "Never you mind," Dilsey said. "I seed de beginning, en now I sees de endin."

By saying, "the book cannot be judged by its cover", Dilsey is misjudged about her observative appearance of the reverend. Seeing that a small figured man that seems to be judged as a physically un-intimidating figure is mislead by his appearance in being a representative of a higher figure such as Jesus Christ. This in return enables his image towards an authorative , in being appointed towards a high point of belief, the Christian ideality of the perfect preacher. She explains how " He seed the power and the glory." , the truth beyond the ordinary human perception of god. Seeing the power and the glory even being figured as one who doesn't show in appearance, but showing it through his words and his voice. During the reverend's sermon Dilsey is astonished by his understanding of the truth in which he describes. A power so strong, that only the reverend is seeing it "Face to Face".
It's been so long since I read The Sound and the Fury that I can't really remember it well enough to give detailed feedback on your interpretation of the passage. I can say that an analysis of a passage that only quotes one sentence from it is probably incomplete. You might want to give your own answer to the question "First en last whut," while also talking about Frony's reluctance for Dilsey to be seeing crying be "white folks," along with Dilsey's unconcern about this.
OP jvmoose 1 / 2  
Yeah it is incomplete, I forgot to ask about how to transist from having analyze one subject to another...I'm sorry about that. But thanks for including a question about "white folks" i woul've never seen it without your feedback.
I seem to remember racial issues being sort of important in the novel, so the passage may have something to do with that, especially given that it explicitly references race. As for the transition, that depends on how the subjects relate to one another, but if you are including all of the points in the same paper, then you must think they relate in some way. So, add a sentence explaining the connection, and this will give you a transition.
By saying, "the book cannot be judged by its cover", Dilsey is misjudged about her observative appearance of the reverend.
This is unclear to me, do you mean to say she felt she had misjudged him,that her first impression of the reverend had been wrong?

Seeing that a small figured man that seems to be judged as a physically un-intimidating figure is misleading? by his appearance in being a representative of a higher figure such as Jesus Christ.

This in return enables his image towards an authoritative , in being appointed towards a high point of belief, the Christian ideal of the perfect preacher.

She explains how " He seed the power and the glory." , the truth beyond the ordinary human perception of God .

:)
OP jvmoose 1 / 2  
Oh, thanks for that. Yes i tried to make the sentence introduce the subject of having Dilsey being mislead towards his appearance. Because of his "short" and stubby appearance, In general his view in being un-intimidating.

Home / Writing Feedback / Feedback on the "Sound and the Fury" Passage analysis