Film review - "Gone with the wind"; 'deserves to be the most successful film'

rainie1911 1 / 1  
The shining beacon of the Hollywood: Gone with the wind.

"Gone with the wind" has all the makings of a first-class epic historical romance. Adapted from the best-selling novel by Margaret Mitchell, it is directed by Victor Fleming and set against the backdrop of war in American South.

This classical film narrates about a woman's adventure during the tumultuous period in America's history, from the onset of the Civil War through to the period of Reconstruction. Scarlett, the stunningly beautiful daughter of wealthy plantation owner Gerald O'Hara, secretly falls in love with neighboring plantation owner, Ashley Wilkes who is pledged to his sweet- tempered cousin named Melanie. Rejected by Ashley, Scarlett was utterly dismayed and impulsively marries Melanie's brother Charles. When the Civil War erupts and brings devastation and poverty to the O'Hara family, Scarlett becomes the indomitable one who fights the hardest to preserve her family's beloved Tara and reluctantly protects Melanie through the ravages of war. Then it's another marriage and her struggle for her estate during the roughest period of the Reconstruction. Despite relying on Rhett throughout, she continues to reject him. But then the events take an unexpected turn.

This film has a quality cast. The casting was widely praised and many reviewers found Vivien Leigh especially suited to her role as Scarlett. Her beauty, her sense of timing, her intelligent approach to this role, makes a hallmark performance. The music of Max Steiner puts the right touch behind all that is seen in the movie. The cinematography is beautiful, memorable because this film was shot entirely in glorious technicolor especially the splendid siege of Atlanta and the magnificently pyrotechnic fire.

Although this film received positive reviews upon its release in December 1939, many reviewers who have read the novel may feel disappointed and criticize its historical revisionism and glorification of slavery. The feeling when you are watching this star-studded film is not similar with the feeling you have undergone a profound emotional experience. But with the warm and grateful remembrance of an interesting story beautifully told, "Gone with the wind" deserves to be the most successful film in box-office history.

Word: 345
When the Civil War erupts and brings devastation and poverty to the O'Hara family, Scarlett becomes the indomitable one who fights the hardest to preserve her family's beloved Tara. (I feel you better stop here and start a new line)andShe reluctantly protects Melanie through the ravages of war.

I think this is very well written .... Good Job :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Film review - "Gone with the wind"; 'deserves to be the most successful film'